lemongrass powder?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

antony

Reaction score
just curious if anyone has experience with lemongrass powder. wife brought home a 5oz jar ("i thought you could brew with it") & I'm kinda stumped. i've never used lemongrass but know there's quite a few recipes around including it...just seems its the actual plant.

ideas? suggestions? what would you do?

Well, never seen lemongrass powder, but now I'll go looking for it for when my Asian markets don't have it fresh for my cooking.

Lemongrass is a great ingredient for cooking though I have never used it in a beer. It has many of the same oils we tend to live in citrusy hops: specifically myrcene and linalool. The herb also contains citral, nerol, limonene and beta-caryophyllene.

To your specific question... I would make a tea out of it to test and see how you would like it in say a White IPA or what have you. Maybe ½ - 1 teaspoon dissolved and steeped in 6oz near boiling water for a few minutes. Not sure how the powder translates to stalks - 1 tsp=1 stalk? 1tbsp=1 stalk?

Back