Lemon zest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ster

Reaction score
I am planning on brewing a summer ale tonight. I have 2 lemons. My plan is to put some lemon zest in, plus the little bit of juice from the 2 lemons.

Do I add directly to the boil?
Will the zest settle out.

I was planning on adding them @ last 10 minues of boil.

Sound good? Comments?

There are several examples of beers made with additions of citrus zest or peel and juice (e.g. SD-Slim's Lemon-Life Hefeweizen, Bovineblitz's Zest Bomb, Biermuencher's Orange Koelsch). Most of the zest/peel additions are at about 5-10 minutes remaining, and juice can be added either then or after. The zest should settle, but you could also put it in a hop bag. Post your result.

I regularly brew a lemon blonde based loosely on this one -> https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f62/squeeze-my-lemon-summer-blonde-52886/

I add the zest in the last 5 minutes of the boil. It gets tossed into my hop spider so no zest ends up in my finished beer. You can use a regular hop bag or something.

Just make sure that you get no pith with your zest. Pith creates a pretty nasty bitterness that's different from hop bitterness.

I did a lemon wheat beer once and added the zest of two lemons at flameout. It was a 2.5Gallon batch and the flavor was noticeable but not overpowering.

I brewed last night. Used a little lemon zest and a small amount of lemon juice. No idea if it will even be noticable.

One strange thing, the wort was very dark in color. Not what I expected after using carapils and 3# extra light DME and 3# wheat DME.

Back