Lemon Zest added to an American Pale Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hebertjoshua

Reaction score
Ingredients: 6.6lb LME (2 cans), 1lb Pale Malt ,1lb Flaked Wheat
Hops: 1oz Cluster, 1oz Cascade

I want to do a lemon beer but how much zest do I add and do I add it at flame out or in secondary? Any other tips will help!

You might look for inspiration to SD Slim's Lemon-Lime Hefeweizen and Bovine Blitz's Zest Bomb Citrus Wheat Pale Ale.

Generally, from about FO-minus-ten to FO is reasonable. You might also look at adding some Sorachi Ace, Bramling Cross, Pioneer, or Warrior to boost the lemon flavor/aroma (with the disclaimer that not everyone thinks that these hops taste lemony).

For what it's worth, from a different direction, one of our local brewpubs released a Flander's Red a few months ago that I would have sworn was a lemon shandy.

I would like to add lemon zest to my wheat beer. I have never done it before and am worried about bacteria. How would I ensure not to infect my beer with unwanted bacteria. I have read to add it just before second fermentation. any suggestions.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Home Brew mobile app

Back