Fruit Beer Lemon-Lime Hefe Weizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would look for all natural, not from concentrate, limeade. Seems like you should be able to find something like that regardless of brand, even if you have to get it at a health food store. Just make sure it has no preservatives.

I’m also going to be brewing this in the next week or two, but I do have access to Simply Limeade. This beer has been on my radar for a few years now, and I’m psyched to finally brew it as it should make for a great summer beer.

I can't seem to find the exact yeast either. I was looking at Escarpement Labs Weizen I, but that one is supposed to be a banana bomb. Not what I'm going for. I'm going to take another look around to see if I can get something closer that's not from concentrate and also see about my yeast options. May even go with something neutral or even try voss kveik for a citrus flavor if I can't find a hefe yeast I like

I can't seem to find the exact yeast either. I was looking at Escarpement Labs Weizen I, but that one is supposed to be a banana bomb. Not what I'm going for. I'm going to take another look around to see if I can get something closer that's not from concentrate and also see about my yeast options. May even go with something neutral or even try voss kveik for a citrus flavor if I can't find a hefe yeast I like
Yeah, same here. My local shop stopped carrying White Labs yeasts. I decided to go with SafAle WB-06. Probably won’t be exactly the same but I can’t get WLP380 unless I order online, and it’s getting too warm to take that chance.

Hmm
I’ve always used wb06
Hmmmm I think I could get Safale wb06. You've done this recipe a bunch of times with it and it's turned out well? Any big banana or clove flavors from it. I feel like i wouldn't want a big banana or clove expression

Hmm

Hmmmm I think I could get Safale wb06. You've done this recipe a bunch of times with it and it's turned out well? Any big banana or clove flavors from it. I feel like i wouldn't want a big banana or clove expression
I generally dislike clove, but in this recipe it works well with the lime. I get no banana. None. Pretty sure none.
WB06 at 67F ferment, 10days, then keg. Mash 158F. Water just Gypsum for about 50 Ca, 10 CL, 100 SO4.

I generally dislike clove, but in this recipe it works well with the lime. I get no banana. None. Pretty sure none.
WB06 at 67F ferment, 10days, then keg. Mash 158F. Water just Gypsum for about 50 Ca, 10 CL, 100 SO4.
That's great! Thanks for the info. Do you add the limeaid too. It seems like the recipe recommends to add the limeaid roughly 3 days after fermentation started or once it died down and about 3 weeks in primary befor ebottling or kegging. Just seems like awhile

That's great! Thanks for the info. Do you add the limeaid too. It seems like the recipe recommends to add the limeaid roughly 3 days after fermentation started or once it died down and about 3 weeks in primary befor ebottling or kegging. Just seems like awhile
Yep I add the lime aid just when recipe calls for it. And sometimes I zest more limes and soak in a little vodka and strain and pour the tincture in at that point also

Yep I add the lime aid just when recipe calls for it. And sometimes I zest more limes and soak in a little vodka and strain and pour the tincture in at that point also
I thought about doing that with the lime zest and vodka as well, but may not this first time. I like your idea of having it only fermenting about 10 days and then to keg instead of 3 weeks. As long as the result is good of course

Thanks @balrog
I'm getting ready to brew this to enjoy during the warmer days, but also to enter it in a local contest. When do you find this beer is at its peak flavor, right away, or after a couple+ weeks? I'd like to time my brew day to achieve the best flavor for the judges. Also, I typically shoot for 6.5 gallons into the fermenter for most beers. At 1.051 BS3 recommends 1.8 pks of WB-06. I was originally going to just use 1 pk, but now I'm leaning towards 2 pks. Thoughts?

Thanks @balrog
I'm getting ready to brew this to enjoy during the warmer days, but also to enter it in a local contest. When do you find this beer is at its peak flavor, right away, or after a couple+ weeks? I'd like to time my brew day to achieve the best flavor for the judges. Also, I typically shoot for 6.5 gallons into the fermenter for most beers. At 1.051 BS3 recommends 1.8 pks of WB-06. I was originally going to just use 1 pk, but now I'm leaning towards 2 pks. Thoughts?
I do not have notes about peak taste with this sorry. I usually let it sit 3 wk before I have any, unless I start earlier. Or later. Not part of my normal process because brewing is sporadic but drinking is not. 🤣
I would rec two pkgd just because you are wanting to do a competition, and more stress will accentuate eaters likely and this is a delicate balance recipe flavor wise. My opinion.

I forgot to ask. Do you mash out at a higher temperature too? I'm still deciding on the yeast. Going to see if they have WB06 and if not I may go for voss kviek for the citrus

I forgot to ask. Do you mash out at a higher temperature too? I'm still deciding on the yeast. Going to see if they have WB06 and if not I may go for voss kviek for the citrus
I'm a dyed in the wool brew in a bagger.
No mashout
No squeeze
Bring full volume strike to temp, dough in, mash, lift bag, drain 5 to 7 minutes, heat to boil.

I'm a dyed in the wool brew in a bagger.
No mashout
No squeeze
Bring full volume strike to temp, dough in, mash, lift bag, drain 5 to 7 minutes, heat to boil.
I use a brewzilla myself. I've done it both with a bag and the included malt pipe. @balrog do you use any kind of pulley to lift and then drain or just by hand? I do like the simplicity of your method.

Also for the lime zest added to the boil, do you guys remember how many limes approximately were used? I remember reading it before, but can't remember the amount. Maybe the zest of 5-6 limes?

I use a brewzilla myself. I've done it both with a bag and the included malt pipe. @balrog do you use any kind of pulley to lift and then drain or just by hand? I do like the simplicity of your method.

Also for the lime zest added to the boil, do you guys remember how many limes approximately were used? I remember reading it before, but can't remember the amount. Maybe the zest of 5-6 limes?
I'm relegated to garage brewing due to unfortunate extreme aroma dislike of someone else I happen to be married to.
The beer.
The aroma of the beer, and brewing.
Not me.
Anyway, I set up a step ladder over the kettle and use @wilserbrewer 's BIAB bag and ratcheting pulley to hoist and drain.

I use the zest of 5 limes for end of boil.
1717847724770.png

1717847802533.png

I'm relegated to garage brewing due to unfortunate extreme aroma dislike of someone else I happen to be married to.
The beer.
The aroma of the beer, and brewing.
Not me.
Anyway, I set up a step ladder over the kettle and use @wilserbrewer 's BIAB bag and ratcheting pulley to hoist and drain.

I use the zest of 5 limes for end of boil.
View attachment 850337

View attachment 850338
I figured you must be using some kind of pulley rather than holding that grain above for 5-7 minutes...lol that would be quite the feat of strength/endurance

@balrog turns out I can't get the wb-06. Any experience with Voss kveik? Thinking about trying it with this beer. Trying to decide if I would ferment warm or around that 67-68F mark

Last edited:
@balrog turns out I can't get the wb-06. Any experience with Voss kveik? Thinking about trying it with this beer. Trying to decide if I would ferment warm or around that 67-68F mark

My experience w Voss leads me to say use 68 not 95, but it will still be kinda funky/different.
Personally I would either brew something else with the Voss, or wait until you can get the correct yeast for this recipe. Obviously do what you want, that's just my opinion.

I've used Voss a number of times and the only time I was even somewhat satisfied was in a neipa. All other attempts with it left me in various degrees of dissatisfaction. YMMV of course.

Haha damn, this does not sound promising. I'm going to give it a go and see how it turns out as the brewing is done and I just need to pitch. In the meantime I'll be on the lookout for the right yeast for next time

Brew day was a couple of days ago now, but everything went well. I was really close on target OG hitting right around 1.052-54. Good taste so far and here's hoping the fermentation with voss goes well.

I'm going to add the limeaid mixture tomorrow, but unfortunately have to use a different one from minutemaid. There's other Simply juices, but not the limeaid here. I'm wondering if I'll need to boil that at all. I'm thinking the mixture which is from concentrate is sterilized, but I would have to sterilize the water added before too. I looked around for other options for the limeaid, but this seems to be the only thing around where I live

Brew day was a couple of days ago now, but everything went well. I was really close on target OG hitting right around 1.052-54. Good taste so far and here's hoping the fermentation with voss goes well.

I'm going to add the limeaid mixture tomorrow, but unfortunately have to use a different one from minutemaid. There's other Simply juices, but not the limeaid here. I'm wondering if I'll need to boil that at all. I'm thinking the mixture which is from concentrate is sterilized, but I would have to sterilize the water added before too. I looked around for other options for the limeaid, but this seems to be the only thing around where I live
I open the juice and pour it in, no boiling or anything.
I wouldn't think you need to bother if you use drinking water to mix up from concentrate either.

I open the juice and pour it in, no boiling or anything.
I wouldn't think you need to bother if you use drinking water to mix up from concentrate either.
Sounds good. I'll likely just do that. SInce it is a concentrate, I'm wondering if I should even mix it up to the 1.5L or just use the concentrate itself. I'll probably check my liquid volume level and decide from there. I'm going to keg after so I only need about 19L

most juices are about 1.047 SG and the sugars just ferment out. Concentrate will add all the sugar without the backing water and bump your equivalent OG by a touch but likely not a bunch, so you'll essentially just be bumping finished ABV a little (proportionally to the overall volume of 19L, 350ml with 1.047 SG concentrated down from 1.5L is something calculable but I'm too lazy)

most juices are about 1.047 SG and the sugars just ferment out. Concentrate will add all the sugar without the backing water and bump your equivalent OG by a touch but likely not a bunch, so you'll essentially just be bumping finished ABV a little (proportionally to the overall volume of 19L, 350ml with 1.047 SG concentrated down from 1.5L is something calculable but I'm too lazy)
No need to make a calculation. Any suggestions on which option you think would be better?

Personally I'd mix it to specified dilution and add it, using tap water.
Quick look at Simply Lime (I know you're not able to get that) has 28gm/serving so about 210gm/bottle which is like 7ounces sugar which if added alone (just toss in 7 ounces table sugar) to 5 gallons 1.050 makes it 1.055 which takes final ABV from about 5.2 to 5.9%. That's what I would go with mixing it up as I don't prefer higher ABV. These are all just my personal preferences.

Personally I'd mix it to specified dilution and add it, using tap water.
Quick look at Simply Lime (I know you're not able to get that) has 28gm/serving so about 210gm/bottle which is like 7ounces sugar which if added alone (just toss in 7 ounces table sugar) to 5 gallons 1.050 makes it 1.055 which takes final ABV from about 5.2 to 5.9%. That's what I would go with mixing it up as I don't prefer higher ABV. These are all just my personal preferences.
That makes sense. I'll try that.

I believe you said you keg before. Do you do closed transfers or some other method to transfer from fermenter to keg.

That makes sense. I'll try that.

I believe you said you keg before. Do you do closed transfers or some other method to transfer from fermenter to keg.
I hook up the fermenter outgas to purge the keg during fermentation. Fermenter to the liquid out side, which brings fermentation CO2 into the bottom of the empty keg, then from the gas in of the keg I run to a jug of starsan.
When I keg, I use an autosiphon to the liquid out of the keg, and run a tube from the keg's gas in, back to the fermenter during transfer in a sorta kinda pseudo closed transfer.
1718035351667.png

1718034991697.png

I hook up the fermenter outgas to purge the keg during fermentation. Fermenter to the liquid out side, which brings fermentation CO2 into the bottom of the empty keg, then from the gas in of the keg I run to a jug of starsan.
When I keg, I use an autosiphon to the liquid out of the keg, and run a tube from the keg's gas in, back to the fermenter during transfer in a sorta kinda pseudo closed transfer.
View attachment 850475
View attachment 850473
How early into fermentation would you start to purge the keg. I would think too early and you would blowoff from the fermenter into the keg?

I have an allrounder myself, so I can do pressure transfers and pressure fermentation. I'm guessing with your method, you don't need to worry too much about the PSI of the keg and fermenter to allow the transfer to happen. I would typically have to have a few more psi in my fermenter than the keg to make the transfer happen.

How early into fermentation would you start to purge the keg. I would think too early and you would blowoff from the fermenter into the keg?

I have an allrounder myself, so I can do pressure transfers and pressure fermentation. I'm guessing with your method, you don't need to worry too much about the PSI of the keg and fermenter to allow the transfer to happen. I would typically have to have a few more psi in my fermenter than the keg to make the transfer happen.
To keep the krausen in check you can use Fermcap. I also picked up a krausen catcher from NorCal Brewing. I put it in-line between my fermenter and keg(s) while purging them.
https://www.norcalbrewingsolutions.com/store/Krausen-Catcher-4-Nipples.html

IMG_3440.jpg

I connect from the get go, the very beginning. I've not had a krausen blowoff in forever. Luck? Clean living? Always leaving at least a gallon head space, if not two? Whatever the reason, I haven't had blowoff in a very long time.

Fermentation seems to have slowed quite a bit. It was at 1.020 for about a day and then slowly went to 1.019. I added the limeaid last night and it's dropped down to 1.017 when checked again. It's going to sit awhile so hopefully still comes down a bit

Fermentation seems to have slowed quite a bit. It was at 1.020 for about a day and then slowly went to 1.019. I added the limeaid last night and it's dropped down to 1.017 when checked again. It's going to sit awhile so hopefully still comes down a bit
what yeast did you end up using?

When I used WB06 apparent attenuation was upper 80%s near 90%, finishing around 1.006.
When I used Voss Kveik in various recipes, only example I have near same mash temp of 158F was 155/6 and apparent attenuation was only upper 70%s finishing around 1.010.

what yeast did you end up using?

When I used WB06 apparent attenuation was upper 80%s near 90%, finishing around 1.006.
When I used Voss Kveik in various recipes, only example I have near same mash temp of 158F was 155/6 and apparent attenuation was only upper 70%s finishing around 1.010.
It was the voss kveik. Fermentation took off quick and vigorous. I couldn't get the other one, but hope to get it for next time

Latest posts

Back