leinenkugels sunset what?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnnybutt35

Reaction score
my swmbo loves leinenkugels sunset wheat and i had to make a deal with her that i would attempt to brew some. does anyone know a decent recipe that is atleast someone close to this? i cant find anything anywhere that seems to be right and i dont have the resourses to do all grain. so if anyone can help me with a mini mash recipe that would be awesome. im even willing to attempt my first partial mash if i have to.

I would do an american wheat recipe and add some blueberry extract. Possibly some other fruit extract.

Several people have asked about replicating this recipe. It has been suggested to try BierMuncher's Blue Moon clone, and you could add blueberry extract at bottling time (to taste).

The Leinenkugel is a lager, so unless you can control fermentation temps, you can't exactly replicate.

If all else fails, dry hop with Fruity Pebbles. :mug:

EDIT: Just scroll down the page for the extract version of his recipe.

Blueberry ? Sunset Wheat doesn't have any Blueberry - you are thinking of "Berry Weis".

anyway... make your wife this

5# Wheat Spray Extract
1/2oz Perle for 60 minutes
1/2oz Crushed Coriander at Flame out

Don't bother with the Orange zest - just slice an orange when you serve it.

Blueberry ? Sunset Wheat doesn't have any Blueberry - you are thinking of "Berry Weis".

5# Wheat Spray Extract

is there any grain i should use with this recipe. it seems very simple.

OK, so I've not tried to brew this, but I have had it before. Also, when trying to clone a beer, I find the best resource is the website of the brewery itself. In fact, Leinie's gives lots of info on this beer including which malts are used and which hops are used. So, based on their website, this is what I would do:

-7 lbs. wheat malt extract (There's probably no need to use any other grains since wheat malt extract is basically pale/wheat malt together) These are the only malts used in this beer I have a feeling.
-Per Leinie's they use Cluster hops. I would use about .8 oz for 60 min. and
.30 oz at flameout
-Also, per Leinie's they use coriander. I would guess .5-1.0 oz at 5 min. would be good.

I would ferment with a Kolsch yeast at about 65 degrees to give you some of the fruity ester profile. I don't think you want a hefe yeast with all the banana/clove flavors. Kolsch should give you a nice wheat beer.

EDIT: I'm not an extract brewer, so I just went off of beersmith's liquid wheat extract numbers. Adjust the amt. of wheat extract you use to get about a 1.048 beer. So, if you're going to use dry malt extract it should be closer to about 5.5 lbs.

Good luck!
Nick

I would say you don't need anything else. You should have plenty of head retention so you don't need any carapils and this beer should be just a creamy wheat beer. It says on the website they use cluster hops and i imagine that's just bittering no flavor or aroma additions. And there is no blueberry mentioned on the website even though i would swear it's in there. Corriander definitley belongs in there. Oh and it says it's wheat and pale but most wheat extracts have pale in there in some percentage. Good luck!

is there any grain i should use with this recipe. it seems very simple.

If you mean like steeping grains or something - No.

Thats it.

If you really wanted to be like Linekugels' they use Cluster hops, which are a bit lower AA% so you might need 3/4 oz instead.

Perle tastes good though, and since you really only want Bittering in this beer and not so much flavor or aroma its doubtful that one variety of hop is any better than another. I use Perle because thats what I happen to have a lot of already.

A single addition for bittering - none for aroma. Add the Crushed Corriander instead of the aroma addition.

If you want to get real into it you can zest oranges and add orange zest too, but honestly thats more trouble than its worth - not worth the effort - just add an orange slice when you drink it - same effect.

thanks for all the input. now i have to give it a shot. ill post back when its all done and let everyone know how it went.

The supplementary adjuncts in this beer are blueberry and coriander. I have used Midwest's Hanks' Hefeweizen kit (both extract and AG) with success. Grind up 1 oz. of coriander seed (I use a small coffee grinder) and put it in a few minutes before the end of the boil. The amount of blueberry extract may depend on which brand you use. I've gotten mine from Midwest (it's L.G. Carlson, I think) and use 2 oz of the 4 oz. bottle. This can be put in at bottling, just add to the bottling bucket with the priming sugar solution.
It seems to me that Leinenkugel has upped the amount of blueberry in the beer lately- I may or may not add more next time. The womenfolk love this stuff.

5# Wheat Spray Extract

I taste lemon. I would do lemon zest in secondary IF I was making this beer.

Exactly what I was going to say. Fruit Loops can be subbed if they are out of Pebbles at your LHBS :)

I'm glad I'm not the only one... I had a sample of this after taking a tour of the Miller Brewery. Usually a fan of Leinie's... never a fan of fruit. I swore the stuff tasted EXACTLY like fruit loops and everyone with me thought I was nuts.

Never had that in a bottle, but was drinking the crap out of the draft version at a company party last week.

Not bad, really. Pretty good, in fact. I am planning another fruit wheat in January and might take a stab at a clone.

I have been resisting but everyone want this beer cloned. I will come up with one this weekend. It will be available soon.

Forrest

Never had that in a bottle, but was drinking the crap out of the draft version at a company party last week.

Not bad, really. Pretty good, in fact. I am planning another fruit wheat in January and might take a stab at a clone.

I had a keg of it once. The last gallon or so was like furniture polish (Lemon Pledge). Guess I took too long to drink it and too much settling occurred. That was the last time I drank it, about 2.5 years ago.

Hmmm...how about this for an AG version:

5lbs White Wheat
5lbs 2 Row Pale or Pilsner (Pils will need 90m boil)
1lbs Flaked Wheat

1oz Coriander seed, crushed, added to boil

Zest of one orange, added at flameout

.5oz Magnum @60m

US-05

2oz Blueberry extract added at kegging or bottling

Simple, not a lot to go wrong.

:mug:

Step 1: Brew a light bodied American wheat
Step 2: Go to store and buy 5 boxes of fruity pebbles
Step 3: Rack wheat onto fruity pebbles

Except that you are adding blueberry to a beer that has no blueberry.

You are making
bw.jpg

The request is for
sw.jpg

Except that you are adding blueberry to a beer that has no blueberry.

You are making
bw.jpg

The request is for
sw.jpg

When I was drinking the Sunset, I swear I taste blueberry.

When the Beer Advocate site is back up, check their listing.

When I was drinking the Sunset, I swear I taste blueberry.

When the Beer Advocate site is back up, check their listing.

Yeah, I read the review(s) to see if I was nuts or not last night. The berry was a slammin beer, cuz I couldn't stand the taste. Sunset was drinkable - to decent as far as I remember. Let's see what Forrest puts in the recipe.

-OCD

Oh, I see what's going on now. This is just a game to see if you guys can make me go out and buy some Leine's. :D

Hmmm...how about this for an AG version:

5lbs White Wheat
5lbs 2 Row Pale or Pilsner (Pils will need 90m boil)
1lbs Flaked Wheat

1oz Coriander seed, crushed, added to boil

Zest of one orange, added at flameout

.5oz Magnum @60m

US-05

Way too much coriander maybe use 1/8th oz. and I dont think they use any orange. The flavor I get at the finish makes me say 1 oz. Blueberry and 1 oz. Raspberry. The citrus you are tasting is the cluster hops. They don't say they use any flavoring but I can taste blueberry and raspberry combined.

Way too much coriander maybe use 1/8th oz. and I dont think they use any orange. The flavor I get at the finish makes me say 1 oz. Blueberry and 1 oz. Raspberry. The citrus you are tasting is the cluster hops. They don't say they use any flavoring but I can taste blueberry and raspberry combined.

Et tu, Forrest?

I must have had a stuffy nose and scorched my tongue on HOT pizza with crushed red pepper. I don't expect to be re-sampling this anytime soon. I do remember the fruity pebbles/fruit loops smell from the bottles though.

I was just making a guess on the coriander, I have not used it yet.

That recipe is for 6 gallons, it will have a high OG for five gallons.

Looking at their web page for the sunset, they imply orange is used, but don't come out and say so.

Et tu, Forrest?

I must have had a stuffy nose and scorched my tongue on HOT pizza with crushed red pepper. I don't expect to be re-sampling this anytime soon. I do remember the fruity pebbles/fruit loops smell from the bottles though.

The blueberry might come out more in the draft, as I mentioned before, I have not had it bottled.

I was just making a guess on the coriander, I have not used it yet.

That recipe is for 6 gallons, it will have a high OG for five gallons.

Looking at their web page for the sunset, they imply orange is used, but don't come out and say so.

They are not implying an orange is used, they are suggesting you serve it with a slice of orange.

Anyone who doesn't taste blueberry in the Sunset Wheat is nuts.

I came in here to comment about racking onto Fruit Loops, but I see I've been beat to the punch (no pun intended?).

Sunset wheat has blueberry extract as described on BA.com.

Berry Weiss is the one that people say tastes like Fruity Pebbles.

I don't agree. Beer Weiss tastes like that Juicy Juice "Wild Berry" flavor to me. Definitely blackberry/raspberry mix.

Sunset Wheat is Fruity Pebbles-ish to me.

I can not stand either one of them, but it's a very common beer around here and all the bars carry Leinie's.

Interestingly enough, every one of Leinie's beers are lagers. Even the so called nut brown is a lager.

I spaced it. I have it in my head I just need to get it to paper. I will send myself a reminder.

Forrest

I am thinking of brewing an 8 gallon batch of wheat next month, with 3 gallons being a hefe, and 5 gallons being a fruit wheat. So, I might give this a try.

Can the coriander be added to the fermenter, instead of the boil? I don't want to have it in the 3 gallons of hefe.

Back