Legging pressures

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bairsbrewing

Reaction score
I have been kegging for several years now and I get mixed results. Sometimes I over shoot it sometimes under. Now that I'm using beersmith, it says to keg at a certain psi, say 11psi. How long do they mean? Usually I hit it at 20psi for 24 hours and then reduce to 10 for one day then follow with 5 psi for another day. I release the pressure and increase to 3-5psi to draw one beer to gauge absorption. If it's good I leave it and enjoy. If it's too high, I remove pressure and allow some co2 to escape by releasing pressure once or twice a day until I get it to where I want it. I'm just trying to make the process a lot faster with better results. I used to shake the keg but got mixed results that way as well. Supposed to be kegging not legging. Damn autocorrect!

Beersmith is recommending the set-and-forget psi, assuming serving temperature. This is the best method, IMHO.
It will take 10-21 days to fully equalize.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Home Brew mobile app

I dunno, I have seen some large people wearing leggings. I think they can maintain a rather large amount of pressure. Sorry couldnt help myself.

Set and forget is the most consistent force carbonation method. Any time you use the shake and bake method you risk over/undercarbing it. Once you get your keg pipeline established (taps full, one keg carbing if you have a spare gas hose available) it is far easier to be patient while it carbs. You can naturally carb in keg as well.

Once you get your keg pipeline established (taps full, one keg carbing if you have a spare gas hose available) it is far easier to be patient while it carbs. You can naturally carb in keg as well.

Natural carbing in the keg, when it works, gives me excellent results. I get a better pour, thicker foam, and better mouthfeel. Plus, the keg doesn't need refrigeration.

I should warn that natural carbonation in the keg doesn't always work the way I hope. Set and forget ALWAYS works.

I release the pressure and increase to 3-5psi to draw one beer to gauge absorption. If it's good I leave it and enjoy.
Serving pressure and carbing pressure are the same. Somewhere in the 10-12 psi range for most beers. Serving at a lower pressure will result in flat beer. There are high pressure short cuts that all come with potential problems, but in the end, setting to the pressure that will eventually give you your desired volumes of CO2 and leaving it there is the most foolproof method.

Back