Legalities of selling your beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Code

Reaction score
Hi Gang,

My partner and I are strongly considering selling a few styles of our beer. A friend of mine owns a local grocery store here in San Diego, and after sampling a few of our styles he's made us an offer to start selling it, however I'm not sure of the legalaties involved. I would assume you would need a business license at minimum, but what else? If any of you here have experience selling your beer commercially and would'nt mind sharing what you know, it would be greatly appreciated. I'm sure laws vary from state to state, so anyone with knowlege about California would be great.

TIA,
Code
:mug:

well im pretty sure you will have to become a licensed brewery before anything. check with the atf . they will point you in the right direction. Good luck!

Please use the search function on this site. It is doable, but in SD, you need to have a separate structure that is approved by the health board and you'll also need to have a license. You can't just sell homebrew. Super illegal.

Check out Probrewer.com. There is a lot of good info there. Also, look around here for some of the Micro/pico startups.

Bottom line - selling homebrew is illegal.

You are in CA? From what I've read, its fairly easy to set up as a pico or micro. Check out your state and local laws on what it takes. There are some legalities involved with the ATF and everyone else who wants a cut of your $, then health inspections etc. Not the end of the world, just a whole lot of paperwork.

Talk to "gordie" he right now does what you are wanting to do..and he's a lawyer. He talks like it isn't that hard. good luck

Wow. Easy?
Easy would be setting up a booth at a farmers market.

I doubt Healdsbrew or Hess would call it easy.

Well every time one of these comes up somebody always chimes in "you can do it, don't listen to any of these naysayers" etc.

Just trying to stay positive. :D

It's not easy, but it's not impossible either... or at least I keep telling myself that to stay sane.

It has taken us about 7 months to get to where we are and countless hours of paperwork, building, plumbing, painting, and the like. Luckily everyone at the ABC (north county) and the TTB were really friendly and helpful. We are currently working with the DEH to get up to "code." Not sure if they are friendly and helpful yet, but we haven't given them cash yet, so who know.

Recommended reading include "Brewing Up A Business" by Sam Calgione and "Beer School" by the former owner's of Brooklyn Brewery.

The most relevant post I have made would be Complete Guide to Opening a Brewery.

If you want to chat some time let me know,

Michael Skubic
Hess Brewing Company

Back