legalese BS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rabidgerbil

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
just listening to the radio, the station was reading off its legal rules regarding its contests, and they said the following
"all decisions are final, and may be changed at any time."

if something can be changed,
HOW is it final?

rabidgerbil said:
just listening to the radio, the station was reading off its legal rules regarding its contests, and they said the following
"all decisions are final, and may be changed at any time."

if something can be changed,
HOW is it final?
I think you need to be a lawyer to understand that!:drunk:

It's fake legalese written by someone who isn't a lawyer and doesn't really understand the subtleties of legalese, but is thrown in there to sound impressive and professional.

How about locked and loaded? Wouldn't it be loaded and locked? I mean, if you're locked that's pretty much it, right? You sort of have to get it in the right order to be effective.

I'm sure we've all heard the 'New and Improved!' rant. If it's new, how could it be improved? If you've improved it, it must have existed previously and therefore not new.

'One can also understand "lock and load" as a meaningful instruction with the M1, as described in the manual: before loading the clip, the proper procedure is to lock back the bolt using the operating rod. Note that on page 21 of the below referenced manual the procedure for preparing the M1 Garand for firing is to "pull the operating rod handle to the rear until the bolt is securely LOCKED open". To load the clip without first locking the bolt could result in the bolt inadvertently expending a round, which could be lethal.'

From Wikipedia

Buford said:
'One can also understand "lock and load" as a meaningful instruction with the M1, as described in the manual: before loading the clip, the proper procedure is to lock back the bolt using the operating rod. Note that on page 21 of the below referenced manual the procedure for preparing the M1 Garand for firing is to "pull the operating rod handle to the rear until the bolt is securely LOCKED open". To load the clip without first locking the bolt could result in the bolt inadvertently expending a round, which could be lethal.'

From Wikipedia
Right! Old terminology is still used on present small arms. Even with a double action automatic pistol you still have to load the first round...;)

I don't think it's that hard to figure out even though it sounds stupid. All decisions final means, don't argue with our decision because we have the final say. The "can be changed at any time" means we also reserve the right to F you over if we feel like it.

batteries not included, terms subject to credit approval, no purchase necessary, must be at least 18 to participate.

My favorite one I have been hearing on the radio lately is "(company name) is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer"

seems to negate each other to me...

um...there's a very good chance SWMBO wrote those rules. Her firm represents radio/tv stations across the country and one of her numerous responsibilities is reviewing and editing contest rules. What station was it for?

Kilted Brewer said:
um...there's a very good chance SWMBO wrote those rules. Her firm represents radio/tv stations across the country and one of her numerous responsibilities is reviewing and editing contest rules. What station was it for?

KVI 570 AM, a Seattle talk-radio station

Buford said:

From Wikipedia
I recall being instructed at Fort McClellan "When I give the command to 'lock and load' you will place a magazine in the magazine well, locking it into place. Then you will pull the charging handle fully to the rear and release, loading your weapon. "

Back