Legal question: Taking a commercial beer and altering

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GNBrews

Reaction score
A local bar has a surplus of a generic wheat beer that isn't selling. What would be the legal ramifications of dumping 5gal worth into a carboy, spicing it up with coriander and some bitter orange peel, recarbing, and reselling it as something people might be interested in drinking?

I'm thinking that it's not really any different than putting fruit in a pint and selling it, as long as the customer isn't being decieved. It wouldn't technically be brewing, but I have no idea.

Thoughts?

No different than some of the new, trendy beer-based cocktails I suppose although removing the beer from the premises and altering at your house may raise eyebrows. Why not do something simple and cut the price to the bone for a pint and let the vast unwashed lap it up?

I'm not clear on the connection between you and the brewery... why aren't they just doing this themselves? Or, on a separate note, why aren't they just selling you the keg to do as you wish with it? They want it back in a 5gal increment? Sounds strange, and probably against what their permits allow. Restaurants usually can't produce much off-site for sale on site unless they have permits that specifically allow that. In the case of alcohol, that's highly unlikely.

Back