LeftOvers WTH Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IrregularPulse

Hobby Collector
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have some miscelaneous malts left over from my FatTire clone. I had to buy 1lb of each grain and only need .5-.25 of some. The grain is alreday crushed so it won't store well. I fiugure, WTH, let's see what happens.
I don't have any spare hops so I'm thinking about Orange peel to bitter.
Here's the recipe

1Gallon

12oz Special Roast
8oz Biscuit Malt
8oz Crystla10
8oz Crystal40

? Orange Peel for bittering.
? Aroma Hop Substitute
? Flavoring Hop Substitute.

Don't know how much orange peel to add or if that much Special roast would make it undrinkable,but I'm willing to sacrifice the otherwise wasted grains for the experiment. I'll scale down the Special Roast if it turn it into something drinkable.
Any suggestions on how much orange peel for bittering or any suggestions for aroma flavor additions?

I also have 14.4oz of Chocolate Wheat Malt I could put whatever amount in if it would work at all with this small of a grain bill.

OG 1058
Color = BLACK

I thought about doing a Partial mash and picking up some DME and then some hops, but figured why not just do this and try it.

I did something similar when I partigyled a big beer, but I did a minimash of specialty grains with a pound of two row and added some 5.2 to bring the pH *up* for saccharification since that many dark grains the mash would have been way too acidic. I then partigyled the big beer to sparge the minimash, and ended up with 5 gallons of tasty smoked porter.

I would use a few # of 2-row and make this a 2.5 gallon batch.

Not sure about the bittering part.

I'm not sure boiling orange peel is a good idea. Seems like you'd end up with a harsh flavor if you boiled it too long. I'd get those hops and use the orange peel for flavor at flameout.

well I don't really have time to go to my "LHBS" and if I did I'd just buy ingredient for a 5G batch. I was just trying to make something out of what I had here and that includes 0 Hops. Nothing else to be used for bittering?

Back