Leftovers Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trderr

Reaction score
I have some ingredients at home leftover from previous batches that I would like to put to good use and use up as much as possible.

I have:

2 cans of Alexander's Pale Malt.

1 lb of crushed crystal malt
1/2 lb of pils malt
15 oz chocolate malt
300 g of german malts (bought at a brewery in germany, probably munich)

1/2 oz Styrian Goldings
1/2 oz Perle
1/2 oz Cascade
1 oz Liberty

I was thinking of getting some 2112 and making an extract steam beer with the following:

Specialty Grains
1 lb crystal
1/2 lb pils
300 g of german malt - I think it would be really cool to use some of these in a beer

Malt
8 lb Alexander's

And then some combination of the hops

Would like to get some expert opinions on how I can best use these without buying many more ingredients.

Thanks!

Use one gallon of water, hold the grains ~150 F for 45 min, call it a mini-mash. That will convert the starches in the pils and Munich to fermentable sugars.

The mash plus 8 lbs of extract will get you a strong steam beer, fine if that is what you are going for. How dark is the crystal? I might back down on it and add 1-2 oz of chocolate malt for complexity and an amber color.

Since Anchor Steam was the only surviving steam beer they style has become very narrow. They use Northern Brewer, but you could use any combination of the hops you have and make a good beer (bitter with Perle, late boil with Liberty would be my call).

Hopefully you can temp control and keep the ferment in the low-mid 60s.

Hope that helps, good luck.

It's fun to use up odds and ends - I did that about a month ago with a collection of leftover hops, in an American wheat with coriander.

Your recipe looks good, the pilsner malt won't add a lot (or anything) but won't harm it either. Steam beer sounds good, you could use the same grain bill and use a different yeast and brew up a pale ale.

Thanks for the tips. I was thinking either Pale Ale or Steam. Last summer I made Charlie Papazian's Steam Beer recipe and it was a fave. I like the idea of working in the Chocolate Malts.

I wish I was drinking one right now!

I have a bag a "mystery grains" that is from what building the mill, stuff that didn't make it into the crush bucket and stuff that spills out of the hopper when crushing.

When it is about 30-40 lbs, it will be mystery beer time :ban:

I know for sure that there is some wheat, munich, pale, crystal and pils malt in there. I just don't know in what ratio :cross:

I'll do a single infusion mash, throw in a neutral ale yeast and see what happens :D

Back