Leftover wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pompeiisneaks

Why that human mask?
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'll tell you I need to dial in my quantities better, on my new HERMS, I'm using a spreadsheet to calculate my volumes and it seems way off, I had about a gallon left over from my last batch and the eff was 80% still! This was second runnings and it was like 1.030. The second batch I did on my HERMS was double, and I had like 2 gallons left over but didn't test OG on it. I've got like 74% eff on that batch, so I think my eff would be much better if I wasn't leaving behind good wort. On a good note, though I've saved that for yeast reactivation so we'll see how that works out :)

A good method is to make a dip stick for your boiler. Even if you measure the preboil volume the post boil volume will be less and if you have no way to accurately measure it you can not predict alcohol accurately. You also can not accurately calculate other parameters. I never leave a drop of goodness in the boiler. It all goes in the fermenter.

Well I have sight tubes on all but mash tun, but basically I would have had to boil for like 4 hrs to lose an extra 2 gallons.. i already boiled for about 80 mins to get down 1 gallon... I started in BK at 13.5 gallons and I wanted to put 6 in each of my carboys... So I had tons extra, mostly, I think, because the spreadsheet I'm using is either a. defective, or b. I'm putting bad data into it... :(

If you're last runnings are still 1.030 then you're lautering efficiency could be improved. Are you batch or fly sparging? I'd try some other methods to specifically focus on your sparge. If you fly sparge, try sparging slower. If you're using a SS braid style manifold, then try switching to a false bottom or PVC/Copper manifold that more evenly covers the bottom of the MLT. Or you could just say "Screw it, I'm making beer and getting 80% eff!". :D

The past few brews I switched to a false bottom and noticed that my lautering efficiency went up. My last runnings are pretty close to 1.020, whereas before it was anywhere from 1.030 to 1.040. I'm still only getting something like 85% lautering efficiency, but once I get better at fly sparging that should help things.

Keep records on starting and ending volume and you can adjust the evaporation rate in your spreadsheet or program if using Beersmith. You then will be able to know how much you will have remaining in the boiler. :)

hehe true Johnny9, Yeah I need to focus more on my process, now that I'm in the golden zone. I'm doing a HERMS process w/ 15.5 gallon sankey kegs, I have stainless false bottoms in the mlt and bk, and it seems to be helping significantly in many ways, but I think if I get my mash water volumes for strike and sparge down better, I'll end up w/ even higher efficiency, I'm going to adjust a little next time, since I seem to have 1 gallon extra on 5 gall batches, I'll run the spreadsheet, and see what I have, and subtract a gallon, and then see how it works. I think either the "loss to equipment" value OR the absorption rate that came w/ it are off an I'll need to figure out which it is, and adjust accordingly.

Back