Leftover StarSan bubbles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jason1781

Reaction score
Everytime I use starsan in my carboys and bottles I am left with a bubbly foam inside. Basically, I soak the bottles in starsan, and as I pour them out, the bottles fill up with starsan bubbles. The bubbles don't always drain out and when they dry, the bubbles turn into a foam. I don't know how to describe it. It's like light fluffy starsan suds.

The starsan directions say not to rinse after using, but I have always rinsed them anyways because I was worried that the leftover starsan would kill the yeast. So far I have not had any problems.

Has anyone else ever had this problem?
If I dont rinse them, will the leftover starsan kill the yeast or affect my beer?

Don't fear the foam! The motto of star-san. It is food grade ingredients, nothing you don't ingest every day, and once diluted in wort, it actually acts as a yeast nutrient. Rinsing defeats the purpose of using a no-rinse sanitizer.

if you dont want foam go with Saniclean which is starsan but none foaming and it takes an extra 30 seconds to sanatize. I love starsan however and i use a garden sprayer to spray the inside of the carboys reducing some of the foam. The whole point is the foam gets into all the small areas and leaves a film which sanatizes. I put my beer right on top of the bubbles and they always turn out great

DONT FEAR THE FOAM....**** we should print some shirts

Its perfectly fine to leave the foam behind. I've drank normally diluted star san. Its safe, and has little flavor so its not going to have a negative effect on the finished beer.

+10 for don't fear the foam

I once met a beer judge in a liquor store, he told me the number 1 mistake homebrewers make is rinsing the non-rinse sanitizer!

You've got your answer, in barbershop quartet plus :)

Only thing I can add, in the interest of teaching a man to fish and all that, is that there's a Sanitizer/Cleaner sticky at the top of this forum that has lots of useful info, including 'Don't Fear The Foam'.

Back