Leftover StarSan bubbles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Jason1781

Reaction score
Everytime I use starsan in my carboys and bottles I am left with a bubbly foam inside. Basically, I soak the bottles in starsan, and as I pour them out, the bottles fill up with starsan bubbles. The bubbles don't always drain out and when they dry, the bubbles turn into a foam. I don't know how to describe it. It's like light fluffy starsan suds.

The starsan directions say not to rinse after using, but I have always rinsed them anyways because I was worried that the leftover starsan would kill the yeast. So far I have not had any problems.

Has anyone else ever had this problem?
If I dont rinse them, will the leftover starsan kill the yeast or affect my beer?

lapaglia

Reaction score
Do NOT fear the foam. Its fine. The yeast will love it. Honestly it is fine and I would not worry about it at all.

BarleyWater

Reaction score
Don't fear the foam! The motto of star-san. It is food grade ingredients, nothing you don't ingest every day, and once diluted in wort, it actually acts as a yeast nutrient. Rinsing defeats the purpose of using a no-rinse sanitizer.

scinerd3000

Reaction score
if you dont want foam go with Saniclean which is starsan but none foaming and it takes an extra 30 seconds to sanatize. I love starsan however and i use a garden sprayer to spray the inside of the carboys reducing some of the foam. The whole point is the foam gets into all the small areas and leaves a film which sanatizes. I put my beer right on top of the bubbles and they always turn out great

DONT FEAR THE FOAM....**** we should print some shirts

malkore

Reaction score
Its perfectly fine to leave the foam behind. I've drank normally diluted star san. Its safe, and has little flavor so its not going to have a negative effect on the finished beer.

Anbrew

Reaction score
+10 for don't fear the foam

I once met a beer judge in a liquor store, he told me the number 1 mistake homebrewers make is rinsing the non-rinse sanitizer!

MadDwarf

Reaction score
You've got your answer, in barbershop quartet plus :)

Only thing I can add, in the interest of teaching a man to fish and all that, is that there's a Sanitizer/Cleaner sticky at the top of this forum that has lots of useful info, including 'Don't Fear The Foam'.