Leftover ingredients to use... what'll it be?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quentin

Reaction score
I've got some leftover LME, steeping grains and hops, and was thinking of just throwing them together to make something out of it all. I'm assuming it'll turn out to be some sort of pale ale, but I'm looking for input. Here's what I've got and what I'm planning...

1 lb Cara 10L (steeping at ~160F* for 30min)
3.3 lb Gold LME
3.3 lb Amber LME
2 oz Simcoe leaf hops (1oz @ 60, 1oz at 10)
1 oz Citra leaf hops (probably a dry hop)

Was gonna go ahead and order some 1056 Wyeast American Ale activator yeast and throw all this together and see where the cards fall. Any feedback or speculation? Am I correct in assuming this might just be a not-quite-so-IPA?

Hmmm... thinking of tweaking it and using the Wyeast American Ale II (1272) instead. Yay experimentation.
Thanks for the quick feedback!

If you're ordering some yeast you may want to pick up some more hops if you are looking for an IPA. Save both the Simcoe and Citra for late additions. Maybe some CTZ (Columbus/Tomohawk/Zues) for bittering?

I don't quite want it to be an IPA, though. I'd be totally happy if it turned out to be a decent regular-ish pale ale. Since I'm on a budget, I'm only gonna order what I need to get the batch started. From what I understand, the Simcoe works well as both a bittering and aroma hop.

Back