Leftover Hefeweizen Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BNVince

Reaction score
I have a decent amount of WLP300 Hefeweizen yeast from a wash I did a few weeks ago. I'd like to use it on an upcoming batch. I'm not too pleased with how my first Hefeweizen came out so I'm looking for another recipe where I can use this yeast wash.

Any extract recipe suggestions for the WLP300?

If I were you I would figure out what you did not like from the first one, and try to adjust it. That is the best way to become a great brewer by finding out what ingredients do when you add or subtract them. Unless, of course, your first recipe was a piece of crap that is beyond saving! What did it lack? What did you not like?

cheezydemon said:
If I were you I would figure out what you did not like from the first one, and try to adjust it. That is the best way to become a great brewer by finding out what ingredients do when you add or subtract them. Unless, of course, your first recipe was a piece of crap that is beyond saving! What did it lack? What did you not like?

Well the recipe was this:

.5lb Carapils Steeped for 30 minutes
1lb Light DME
6lbs Wheat LME
1oz Tettnanger Hops (60) minutes

First and foremost, the color is way off. It's closer to a Dunkelweizen then a Hefe. Secondly, it really lacks the wheat body of a Hefe. It tastes a bit watered down.

I like the idea of giving another Hefe a try. I guess I will play with the ingredients to try and find a better extract Hefe recipe. Any suggestions?

First off -- you HAVE to stop using LME!! That's what's making your brew dark.

Switch to DME. :D

My (general) recipe real quick:

Boil 1.5 gals water. Add 1 lb Extra Light DME and 3% hops for 45 mins.
Remove from heat. Add 5 lbs of Wheat DME and dissolve. Let sit for 15 mins. Done.

I top off with filtered tap water to 5.25 gals.

Way too easy.:D

homebrewer_99 said:
First off -- you HAVE to stop using LME!! That's what's making your brew dark.

Switch to DME. :D

My (general) recipe real quick:

Boil 1.5 gals water. Add 1 lb Extra Light DME and 3% hops for 45 mins.
Remove from heat. Add 5 lbs of Wheat DME and dissolve. Let sit for 15 mins. Done.

I top off with filtered tap water to 5.25 gals.

Way too easy.:D

Wise words. LME is more expensive (DME is more potent, so you use less) and you never quite know what is in it. The same could be said of DME, as far as what is in it, but I have found it to be of good quality at my local brew shop. Other than that, maybe adjust the hops however you think is best, and good luck!

cheezydemon said:
Wise words. LME is more expensive (DME is more potent, so you use less) and you never quite know what is in it. The same could be said of DME, as far as what is in it, but I have found it to be of good quality at my local brew shop. Other than that, maybe adjust the hops however you think is best, and good luck!

Well I think I'll be going for a Dunkelweizen since by the time it's drinkable it will be a bit colder and I enjoy the maltiness in colder weather. Here is the recipe I'm going to use:

1lb Carapils
1lb Crystal Malt 60L
5lb Wheat DME
1lb Dark DME
1oz Tettnang (60 minutes)
1oz Tettnang (10 minutes)

The only issue I've had with the DME is that when I do late additions to the boil, it clumps up real bad.

Back