Leftover beer from primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewbies

Reaction score
I just transferred five gallons of oatmeal stout from primary to secondary over 30 oz of coffee. This displaced about 30 oz of beer that will not fit in to the secondary and honestly I'm having some trouble just tossing it down the drain. Any suggestions what to do with this? I thought about leaving in a covered nalgene bottle for a week or so and then bottling it, or maybe even just drinking it flat. Anyone have any suggestions?

I'd drink it. You drink your hydro samples right? Same thing, only a lot more.

Drink it flat! It's only 30oz! Either that or put it in that nalgene bottle and add some yeast and a wee bit of sugar water and carb that sucker. lol

It's a stout. Drinking it flat wouldn't be to far off the ol' times anyway.

I decided to just drink it rather than cutting open the one bag of dextrose I have. Pretty tasty even this early, I can't wait to see how the coffee fuses with it. Thanks all for the suggestions.

not really related to what you should do with the extra beer, but that is precisely why I started using a 6.5gal for my secondaries. It's worth it to not lose any volume if you are making additions

I decided to just drink it rather than cutting open the one bag of dextrose I have. Pretty tasty even this early, I can't wait to see how the coffee fuses with it. Thanks all for the suggestions.

For future reference, regular cane sugar works just as well for priming.

not really related to what you should do with the extra beer, but that is precisely why I started using a 6.5gal for my secondaries. It's worth it to not lose any volume if you are making additions

I was told by fellow homebrewers not to use 6.5 gls for secondaries because the extra head space may cause oxidation.

I was told by fellow homebrewers not to use 6.5 gls for secondaries because the extra head space may cause oxidation.

That is the main reason people don't. I personally would rather have to drink a few ounces of leftover than risk the whole batch.

You drink your hydro samples???? wow - someone is desperate for alcohol LOL

Ha. Not desperate. But it's a great way to understand the evolution of your brews.

Exactly.
Most people on the forum drink them. It's a good way to understand how the beer evolves. Some batches I'll drink the entire sample, other I'll have just 3-4 small swallows then dump.

I routinely taste everything in the whole process. I chew up some of my grains. I taste yeast starters. I taste the wort before the boil. I taste the wort after the boil, I taste hydrometer samples, I taste spent grain, and I've even been know to chew on hop leaves after the boil. Learning how the beer tastes throughout the entire process helps one learn what's really going on with any particular beer or mead. Some of those tastes are more pleasant than others (kegging hydro sample vs. oxidized unhopped yeast starter), but they all have their uses.

OP, 2 liter bottles make a great storage spot for extra beer that won't fit in your secondary or keg. Since I keg, I just put the extra beer into the bottle, put a carbonator cap on it, and carb it up in the fridge, but you could just as easily prime with a bit of table sugar.

Back