Left Over Ingredient IIPA Recipe Critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbrookeiv

Crafted Magazine
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Someone was selling a couple of kits from The Homebrewery in Ozark, Missouri about a month ago, and I snagged two of the kits.

The kits were a Weizenbock and Black Lager kit.

The Weizenbock kit came with a 7.5lb DME bag with "Wheat DME, Granulated Honey, and Bittering Hops".

The Black Lager kit came with a 4lb DME bag with "Dark DME and Bittering Hops".

Both kits also came with steeping grains, and the Weizenbock steeping grains are Chocolate and Victory malts.

Here's my idea: I don't really want to brew a Black Lager or Weizenbock. I haven't brewed a good IIPA/super hoppy beer in a little while, so I'm going to combine the two DME bags. The recipe is below. I also have a pound of Cascade whole leaf hops sitting here, and don't know when else I would use them, so I figured I'd just go crazy with this.

Fermentables:

7.5lbs of Wheat DME and Granulated Honey
4lbs of Dark DME
Steeping grains consisting of Victory & Chocolate Malts

Hopping Schedule:

4oz Cascade @ FWH
4oz Cascade @ 60min
4oz Cascade @ 15min
4oz Cascade @ 1min

For the FWH, I'm just going to throw the hops in as soon as I put the pot on the burner.

Also, I'm going to try and round up some Cascade hop pellets for dry hopping. Anyone want to trade 2oz of Cascade hop pellets for 2oz of whole leaf Cascades? I hate dry hopping with whole leaf hops.

I threw it all in Beer Calculus, sounds like it should be tasty.

http://hopville.com/recipe/526557/imperial-ipa-recipes/left-over-ingredient-dark-iipa

I also have two yeast choices, US-05 or S-33. I think I'm just going to throw both packets in and let it ride. Let me know what you think!

Forgot to mention, I only brew No-Chill, so the hop additions will really be like this, I just wanted to put a normal hop schedule for easier IBU calculation, etc.

4oz @ FWH
4oz @ 40min
4oz @ 0min
4oz @ Dry Hop

Dark DME & Chocolate malt for an IPA? Will probably turn out very dark at that.

Don't see the need for both yeasts, seems a bit of a waste. The US-05 should suffice surely.

Dark DME & Chocolate malt for an IPA? Will probably turn out very dark at that.

Don't see the need for both yeasts, seems a bit of a waste. The US-05 should suffice surely.

I might just ditch the steeping grains. Beer Calculus said it'll be around 14 SRM, not very dark at all, more of an amber/copper.

Also, you think just using US-05 will be sufficient for a 10% brew?

if you're doing such a large FWH, why bother with a 60min add too? I'd just use those for your dry hop

Back