Left over "flour" at the end of sparge.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turricaine

Reaction score
I was squeezing my nylon bag during the sparge and a lot of cloudy liquids came out.

I filtered this through a cheese cloth and a lot of white putty was in it, maybe 1kg wet out of the 3kg grain i used.

Is it right to throw this away? (It is too late anyway for this batch).

I just chucked it in the garbage bin.

I am designing a false bottom using a circular grillrack i have and cut holes in a plastic wastepaper bin.

This means in future, the sparge will work purely of a gravity filtration and not squeezing the sparge bags means cloudy fluids and not clear.

I know clear fluid is better than cloudy, but in terms of "greed" to get as muchout of it as possible, maybe an off-the-record protocol is followed that is not part of the official written script? idk about this.

Yeah, it's stuff called taige which is made up of proteins and other stuff. I didn't know what it was called until I heard Michael Dawson say what it was in the Decoction Day video for BrewingTV. I get it all the time on top of my mashes as well. No need to keep that stuff, probably better to filter it out.

All wheat beer gave me a kettle cake and a bunch of that stuff.
20210128_174854.jpg

Back