Left out 5lbs of grain, can I somehow make up for it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Djanvk

Reaction score
Ok so I was brewing last night and unfortunately did not pay close attention to what I received in my order. Something just didn't seem right when I checked my PH after the boil, it was only 1.035 when it should of been in the 1.050 range. So I pitched my yeast and set it to ferment and then was trying to think of what I might of done wrong...then it hit me that there didn't seem to be enough grain for some reason, I got no Northern Brewer and checked my order and low and behold I shorted myself 5lbs of grain which was entirely my fault I didn't review my order like I should of.

Anyways is there anyway to increase my PH now or can I increase my ending Alcohol content as it's predicted to only be 3.0%. Can I save this beer, it's Lime Wheat.

Thanks.

You mean OG not PH for the 1035...

But I would think you can just boild some DME and add it to the fermenter. Liquid volume will be the tough part, since I'm assuming you collected enough to fill your fermenter.

Since it is a wheat, you can also try adding some honey to your fermenter. That would up your ABV and could add some nice flavor to your beer. (Except I don't know how it will interact with your lime flavoring. - also...lime beer...yuck)

Sound like you made a session beer. If its already fermenting let it go. If its still in the boil, you could add some pilsen extract.

It's already in the fermenter so I might just let it go and test it in a week. Luke your right I meant OG, I work with the PH of blood quite a bit and more used to PH. As for the Lime wheat it's what the SWMBO wanted and I have to brew to her likings sometimes. Its from a recipe in HBT database, smells good.

Hmm I do have some honey on hand?

if it's still fermenting; boil up some DME/ cool it and toss er in. It's perfectly acceptable and will work just fine

Actually I just put it in the fermenter late last night I'll have to go pick up some dme.

PH of 1.035? That's quite a strong acid. Your yeast are already dead. ;)

Your hops utilization is also going to be higher so expect a more bitter beer.

Ok this makes me think now, so with a lover OG I can use Honey to up my OG and Alcohol % AND with the lower OG I'm going to have more hops utilization so a more bitter beer. Now my thinking says that I can add the Honey which will add more sweetness to counteract the bitterness of the increased hops utilization with should even out.

SOooo..

< OG + Hops = Increased bitterness, > Alcohol content
(< OG + Hops) + Honey = > Bitterness and < Alcohol Content/OG

This could work out.

The honey will most likely be 100% fermentable and not add any sweetness, it'll probably end up making it drier and not help with any overhopping. If it's a wheat, you probably didn't have a tremendous amount of hops anyway, I wouldn't worry about that.
What grain(s) did you leave out. Wheat malt, barley malt?

I left out 5lbs of 2-Row, it only have 1oz total of hops.

Instead of honey could I just add some sugar to increase the amount of fermentables to up the Alcohol content just a bit?

I would add 3 lbs of DME to a small volume of water (enough to get it dissolved, maybe someone can chime in with a volume here) boil it for 10 minutes or so to sanitize, let it cool, and add it to your fermenter.
Honey will dry it out and probably take a while to finish. Sugar will dry it out, make it thin.
Were I in your shoes, I'd add the DME or just let it ride. I wouldn't go the honey or sugar route.

My issue here also is I don't have a local home brewing store by me so I order my stuff, so I can't just run and get DME.

I appreciate all the quick replies everyone.

Ah, no LHBS. That is an issue then, because you'll want to add any fermentables (I would think) before fermentation winds down. Barring no source of DME/LME, I'd be torn between letting it go, or adding 2 lbs or so of honey. Honey will make it drier, it may also take a while to finish. I personally would let it ride, but if you don't think you'll drink it or will be unhappy with it as is, add the additional fermentables.

Let it ride. After all this hobby is about experimentation and many great things have come from mistakes made. It might become your new favorite session beer.

I left out 5lbs of 2-Row, it only have 1oz total of hops.

Instead of honey could I just add some sugar to increase the amount of fermentables to up the Alcohol content just a bit?

A pound of dextrose and 3-pound of DME x-tra light. That way it still ferments out all nice and low.

Wait, how does it taste? And was it for you in the first place, or your honey, and does she want a true craft brew or just a different kind of cocktail? Honestly, and I'm really not kidding, if it's a lime brew, add a little vodka and ride with it. It's already going to be about 3-4%, if you added the amount of lime appropriate for a 5% brew, it may be a bit overwhelming for something lesser. Just bump it up with vodka and it'll be light and refreshing, though not all beer, which, depending on season, might not be a bad thing.

Like it's been said before, you will end up with increased hop utilization, but I would suggest just taking a sample and balancing it out with something that gets you to the right flavor. If you think it's not hoppy enough, take a small sample and use a french press to try and add the right amount of hops. If it's not citrusy enough, try different blends of brew and juice to get to the right amount, then scale up to the final batch.

PS: And if it's too hoppy, you can either age it for a bit or just simply boil more DME and add it in.

I'm definitely curious as to what my final product will come out as, we will see in a couple of weeks. :rockin:

Back