Left my plug on the top of fermenter open during cold crush.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cobby

Reaction score
Hi guys here we go again.
Want your opinion please,I meant to bottle my golden ale tonight. So I started to cold crush but before that I took a sample and forgot to close the little plug on the top of my SS chronical went to work.During the cold crush some air been sucked inside cos on the vacuum created during the crush.From your experience how bad is it?Is my beer totally oxidated ?
Thank you for your time.

Most brewers don't have the luxury of a chronical or other fermenter that completely seals, so always have some air sucked in during cold crash. The beer is still good.

Put it in a few growlers and send it to my lab. Ill do some intense testing on it for free.

The only way to prevent air from entering your Chronical is to supply a very light pressure of CO2 to the headspace during cold crashing. There are several methods for that, do a search.

If you had plugged up the Chronical, either air would have drawn in through a gap somewhere, which is the best scenario, or the vacuum that was created could have imploded your vessel.

It will be fine, fill those kegs as soon as the beer has cleared.

The only way to prevent air from entering your Chronical is to supply a very light pressure of CO2 to the headspace during cold crashing. There are several methods for that, do a search.

If you had plugged up the Chronical, either air would have drawn in through a gap somewhere, which is the best scenario, or the vacuum that was created could have imploded your vessel.

It will be fine, fill those kegs as soon as the beer has cleared.

I've often thought about this. My guess is that, in a closed system, a reduction in pressure would cause dissolved CO2 to come out of solution rather than imploding a vessel.

I've often thought about this. My guess is that, in a closed system, a reduction in pressure would cause dissolved CO2 to come out of solution rather than imploding a vessel.

Possibly. Would be nice to get that confirmed.

IIRC, didn't someone post a thread and picture of an imploded conical from cold crashing?

Possibly. Would be nice to get that confirmed.

IIRC, didn't someone post a thread and picture of an imploded conical from cold crashing?

I don't have a sealed fermenter to try it with. I guess the fermenters strength would also be a factor, and probably the headspace as well. I think I'll stick to cold-crashing in keg with gas connected!

Latest posts

Back