Left malt extract in car overnight!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CinciBearFan

Reaction score
Oops! Picked up a new kit just yesterday, and somehow left the malt extract in the car overnight. I was half expecting it to have explode d out o its 1/2 gallon jug and oozed all over the carpet, but luckily no!

But question is, with 95 degree temps at 8 pm last night, is this LME no good? (figure 12 hours at an average of 90 degrees prob)

I usually keep it refrigerated till brewing. I plan in brewing tomorrow night. Thinking I should get some fresh LME

D

It probably got a lot hotter than that being shipped in a trailer from the mfg to the brew shop. That type of product isn't hauled in refrigerated trailers

Haha! Bob beat me to it by a few seconds. Hey Bob, 3hrs north of ya.

Mine is in my 115 degree garage and has been for 36 hours. It will pour a lot easier tonight when I use it. they don't ship that stuff temp controlled. Tycho how hot the semi gets

Don't forget that they make the stuff by heating wort and boiling off the water. I wouldn't store extract at 100F+ for weeks, as it will darken, but a day or two is no problem.

tryn2brew said:
Extract, no problem. Liquid Yeast might be a problem. +1 to "Brew, Drink, be happy".

Thanks all!

The liquid yeast is indeed in the refrigerator!

Derek

Back