Left Hand Milk Stout (need advice/help)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hiphop

Reaction score
Hey all,

I am looking for help with an All grain left hand milk stout recipe. I will post the full recipe below. I have made this recipe before and going to try it again next weekend. The recipe below is very similar to the real Land Hand Milk Stout but not an exact match. It is good but not as “milky” as I would like so I would like to up the lactose by just enough to make the “milk” flavor emerge but not enough to over power the beer. The current recipe calls for 1 lb of lactose.

Based on your experience how much would you recommend?

https://brewgr.com/recipe/31497/left-hand-nitro-milk-stout-clone-all-grain-recipe

Left Hand Nitro Milk Stout Clone - All Grain
by Apprentice-Breweries

Recipe Type: All Grain
Batch Size: 5 Gallon(s)
Boil Size: 7 Gallon(s)
Boil Time: 90 min
Efficiency: 75%

FERMENTABLES
% lb fermentable ppg L usage
7lbs Pale 2-Row - US 37
1lb Roasted Barley - US 25
0.75 lbs Crystal 60L - CA 34
0.75 lbs Munich - Dark 20L - US 35
0.75 lbs Chocolate Malt - US 34
0.5 lbs Flaked Barley - US 32
0.5 lbs Flaked Oats - US 37
1 lb Lactose - Milk Sugar - US 41

HOPS
0.3 Magnum Pellet Boil 60 minutes 13.0 12.7
1 East Kent Goldings Pellet Boil 10 minutes 5.0 5.9

YEAST
White Labs California Ale WLP001 75%

I brewed this exact recipe last year except for 10 oz of flaked barley (instead of 8 oz). It was great and it's on my "to brew again" list. I wouldn't change a thing. Maybe you're looking for more mouthfeel? Perhaps a bit more flaked oats or barley, or mash a bit higher, or try the Nitro route if you have that option (I don't...yet). Cheers!

I like the suggestions above, to up the lactose a little but not too much (I was going to say 1.5 lbs) or do other things to make the mouthfeel fuller - like using more flaked oats/barley, mashing higher, or trying a less attenuative yeast. In my experience, lactose in beer doesn't add sweetness or flavor, but rather mouthfeel.

Let us know what you decide to do and how it turns out. Lots of folks love the sweet stout!

Back