Leaving town during Diacetyl rest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stixobutta

Reaction score
I just got my Octoberfest to d-rest temp. But unfortunately I have to leave town for three days on business. I've read that you should d-rest for 48 hours then rack to secondary. By the time I get back my brew will have sat at d-rest temp for more than double that.

Is this an issue or would you wait out the d-rest till you hit target FG anyway?

SG 1.051
Gravity at D-rest 1.023
Target FG 1.012

Everything i have read says to do diacetyl rest for at least 3 days. i always do mine after the secondary and before i bottle so i do wait for the fg. i never have any problems w/ diacetyl.

It can sit for as long as you want at d-rest temps. I'm re-pitching yeast from two five-gallon batches of Oktoberfest this Saturday that have been sitting on the yeast at room temperatures for (by that time) four weeks.

Ok good, I won't worry about it then. I'll let it finish out then rack to secondary when I have time.

Back