Leaving brew in fermenter longer than needed?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zebrahum

Reaction score
So I got a homebrew kit a month ago as a gift, but because of business travel, I've been away from home and thus unable to brew. I've spent at least an hour searching here and google for my question and couldn't wade though the answers to find an adequate response, so excuse me if it's an obvious, frequently asked question.

I will be home for a week then away from home for 4 weeks, then rinse and repeat until October. I would love to start my brew and get it aging, but I don't have a clue what happens if you leave the beer in the fermenter for 4 weeks when it will probably be finished in half that.

So do I brew as soon as I get home and leave it in primary for 4 weeks?

Brew and rack to a secondary after 7 days? (seems a bit fast maybe)

Something else?

It's a basic amber ale that came with the kit, I'm away so I unfortunately don't have much more information than that. If needed, I'll probe the interwebs to see if I can find what kit it is and what recipe it is.

first of all theres plenty of threads on the subject i kno they can be hard to find. 4 weeks should be fine but if youre nervous you could get some1 to transfer to a secondary for you. as long as you emphasize sanitizing to the extreme(if there is an extreme to sanitizing) they should be fine.

Go ahead and leave it in primary for 4 weeks. That's about perfect for a single-stage fermentation, and you won't be tempted to fiddle with it because you'll be away from home;). Just make sure that your temperature control is sufficient, and it should turn out delicious:mug:.

Four weeks in the primary will be fine. In fact, it will give the beer time to age and the yeast to clean up after themselves. Much better than the other scenario you presented.

Thanks you guys, compared to some of the other forums I'm an "expert" on (biking, skiing) you are all very nice to noobs I see.

I will keep it in primary during my four weeks away, I'm just so scared of making a mistake; this is beer, for heaven's sake! I promise to do my best to search before I open my big dumb mouth.

Back