Leave it in my primary for a bit then add lemon zest ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sclabrl

Reaction score
Haven't found anything and looking for a comments or suggestions...

Midwest's Lemon Coriander Weiss is the brew I'm making. Recipe says 1 week in primary then transfer to secondary and add the lemon zest.

My question: Will it make my beer better if I leave it in the primary for longer then transfer to the secondary at which time I add the lemon zest? Or will it not make a difference and just transfer it at 7 days?

Just questioning because I was going to leave it in the primary until bottling, but after getting the kit realized it needs to be transferred to secondary.

anybody comment on this ?

I would recommend leaving in the primary and adding the lemon zest in the primary for however long you want to leave the zest before bottling. I'm a firm believer of a long primary and no secondary, but you will get mixed opinions on this.

I have had great results with 4 week primaries then straight to bottle. Nice clear and tasty beer. Drinking one right now!

Many people skip the "secondary" fermentation stage. Most commonly, at least for me, a secondary is used for dry hopping or adjunct additions. The main reason you're told to secondary is because dead yeast could impart an off flavor to your beer, but you would need to leave it on the yeast for an extremely long time for that to happen...I'm talking like a year...so secondary or not, the choice is yours. You're adding zest, it doesn't matter if you do it while the beer is sitting on a yeast cake or not.

Don't stress, remember, you're making beer...not building a rocket.

Ok....so I guess my question now is :

can I add the lemon zest to the primary and recover it up?

I just remember my 1st brew had a head of who knows what floating on top....

Back