leave it for longer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

damo

Reaction score
i have a brew in primary at the moment the recipe says it is ready when fg is 1008
og was 1048 it has been down for 10 days and i checked today reading was 1020 should i leave it for longer or was og too high

Is it still fermenting? 1.020 is definately way to early to bottle. If you provide your original recipe, we should be able to calculate your OG and help you out.

McKBrew said:
Is it still fermenting? 1.020 is definately way to early to bottle. If you provide your original recipe, we should be able to calculate your OG and help you out.
it was from an extract

damo said:
it was from an extract
Right...so how much did you use? What kind? How much water? Any specialty grain? For that matter, what were the hops and yeast? Maybe this is a winning recipe someone else would like to duplicate!

Are you correcting your hydrometer readings for temperature?

Did you stir the wort well before taking the OG reading?

Is there still airlock activity?

Yuri_Rage said:
Right...so how much did you use? What kind? How much water? Any specialty grain? For that matter, what were the hops and yeast? Maybe this is a winning recipe someone else would like to duplicate!

Oh sure take all the good questions.

Yuri_Rage said:

brew craft mexican cerveza was the extract 500g sucrose 300g multidextrine 200g corn syrup,23 litre water total, yeast was saflager s23, i did stir the wort before og reading and i have done 3 brews to date and i have never had airlock activity, by the way what does correcting hydrometer readings for temperature mean

GaryA said:
Did the brew get real cold at any time during the fermentation?
dont think so
but with OG at 1048 and FG has to be at 1008 wouldnt it just naturally take longer

1.048 to 1.008 wouldn't take to long, usually its the bigger brew 1.060 and up that take longer to ferment out.

I would give the fermenter a swirl (not shake) to get the yeast back up into the brew and see if the fermentation starts again.

GaryA said:
1.048 to 1.008 wouldn't take to long, usually its the bigger brew 1.060 and up that take longer to ferment out.

I would give the fermenter a swirl (not shake) to get the yeast back up into the brew and see if the fermentation starts again.
i dont know whether fermentation has stopped or not

damo said:
i dont know whether fermentation has stopped or not

Do you have an airlock installed, if so are there still bubbles?

If you are not using an airlock, are you seeing any krausen? (foam on top of the liquid).

Take hydrometer readings over the next couple of days, if nothing has changed then we will provide more assistance.

McKBrew said:
Do you have an airlock installed, if so are there still bubbles?

If you are not using an airlock, are you seeing any krausen? (foam on top of the liquid).

Take hydrometer readings over the next couple of days, if nothing has changed then we will provide more assistance.
i do have a airlock but every time ive brewed so far it never bubbled either time so CO2 is getting out somewhere i will check readings tomorrow n see how its going anyways and there is foam stuff at the top

damo said:
there is foam stuff at the top
If you've got krausen, fermentation is still under way. I'm guessing that for some reason your yeast had a long lag time, but now has some momentum. I'd just wait longer.

More often than not in homebrewing, waiting is the correct thing to do. :D

BTW, 24C seems awfully warm for that yeast, which prefers 9-15C.

24º C is about 75º F, which is really way too warm for any yeasts except maybe some Belgians. I know it's summer there, but please try to get that sucker cooled down a bit. Yeast has a tendency to make a hot rocket fuel type taste when they're too warm. You'll have much happier yeast if it's cooler, and the possibilities of off flavors less.

EvilTOJ said:
24º C is about 75º F, which is really way too warm for any yeasts except maybe some Belgians. I know it's summer there, but please try to get that sucker cooled down a bit. Yeast has a tendency to make a hot rocket fuel type taste when they're too warm. You'll have much happier yeast if it's cooler, and the possibilities of off flavors less.
thanks mate
ill try cooling it down any suggestions on how?
thats really weird you say that because every recipe i have done told me to keep between 21 and 28C

The best (and by best, I mean cheapest) way is to get a large bucket, fill it with water. It has to be big enough for your fermenter to sit in. Put the fermenter in it, and drape a wet tshirt over the top. The water will wick up through the shirt and cool the bucket via evaporation. If you put a fan blowing on it lightly that cools it even more. It's not a lot, but it does help keep it lower.

Oh I just saw you're using lager yeast. Oh yea, 21ºC is WAY too hot for that! BlindLemonLars is right, you gotta get lager yeast even cooler, between 9º and 15º C. Ales should always be in the range of 17º to 20º C. A fridge is really the only way to lager, and you probably don't have that. Don't worry, it'll still be good beer, just don't expect it to taste like lager. Do the above, and also freeze some water bottles and drop them in the water to cool it off more.

Back