least amount of equipment for partial mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bruno24

Reaction score
I want to move on to a partial mash and I was wondering if I can get away with just one 5 gal pot for the entire process? I thought that after the initial boil(mash) I could dump the mash water into my bottling bucket (clean it) then I could use the same pot for the sparge ? Any thoughts or will cooling of the mash in the bottling bucket be an issue?

Well, you would still want to boil the first runoff (that you're talking about dumping into the bottling bucket). If you're talking about using volumes of water (for the mash and rinse combined) that would be under 4 gallons, I guess you could dump them back together in the 5 gallon pot and resume your boil. But, I'm still not sure if it'll work.

I'm confusing myself because I'm trying to listen to the new BN show right now at the same time, but overall, I don't think it's the best use of equipment.

Just bite the bullet and go AG

I would like to go to AG brew, however funds are tight this time of year and I didn't want to spend the money on the extra equipment yet. I was hoping I could get away w/ what I already have from by True-Brew beer kit and 5 gal. stock pot for a partial mash. If not thne I will continue w/ a few more extracts until I have the cash to go AG.

all you need is a 5 gallon brew kettle, a great big grain bag, and any kitchen pot that will hold a couple gallons of water.

Make sure you aren't boiling any grains. you will get falvors that wont make the best beer.

Be careful what advice you listen to from those above, especially those who dont understand the process. With a partial mash, you are using a much smaller portion of grains than you would with All Grain and thereffore dont need as much equipment. You will have to make up the additional sugars with DME or LME. THe link form sockmerchant is excellent. I also tried the Brew in a Bag or BIAB method a ew time. You can view the link in my signature or searc those two terms (BIAB or BREW IN A BAG).

i guess i dont have my old stove top brew in a bag link, but i basically followed deathbrewers aproach. My first partial mash was Northern Brewers RYE PA and it turned out delisciously.

Be careful what advice you listen to from those above, especially those who dont understand the process. With a partial mash, you are using a much smaller portion of grains than you would with All Grain and thereffore dont need as much equipment.

If he's talking about partial mashing and sparging/rinsing the grains, he still needs (1) a vessel to mash in, (2) a vessel to store the mash runoff in, (3) some vessel to heat sparge water in and then to somehow rinse the grains. Even if he just pours water over the grain bag into the vessel he has the first runoff in, he still needs a vessel to heat that sparge water in unless he doesn't mind the runoff just sitting there cooling (and forming DMS or at least DMS precursors) while he waits for the sparge water to heat up.

you're correct!

He could eliminate one of the vessels you mentioned by mashing, then sparging, and boiling (once the grain were removed) in the same vessel - if he used a big grain bag. A second vessel would be needed to heat sparge water. There are lots of examples on the forum talking about BIAB. I didnt mean to offend anyone who made prior posts, but i dont like to discourage people from tyring something they want to do. BIAB is a good means to get to AG over time if you dont want to buy the equipment or manufacture the pices all at once.

If he's talking about partial mashing and sparging/rinsing the grains, he still needs (1) a vessel to mash in, (2) a vessel to store the mash runoff in, (3) some vessel to heat sparge water in and then to somehow rinse the grains. Even if he just pours water over the grain bag into the vessel he has the first runoff in, he still needs a vessel to heat that sparge water in unless he doesn't mind the runoff just sitting there cooling (and forming DMS or at least DMS precursors) while he waits for the sparge water to heat up.

You can heat up the mash water in a kettle, and mash with the grain bag in a bottling bucket. Wrap the bottling bucket in a sleeping bag to help hold temperatures! That's what I used to do! Then, start heating the sparge water in the same kettle, during the mash. Drain the mash runnings into something (a bucket, a pot, whatever) and add the sparge water to the bottling bucket. Drain that, and combine runnings and boil. You won't form DMS from sitting just a couple of minutes during a batch sparge.

That way, all you need is one very large grain bag.

You can heat up the mash water in a kettle, and mash with the grain bag in a bottling bucket. Wrap the bottling bucket in a sleeping bag to help hold temperatures! That's what I used to do! Then, start heating the sparge water in the same kettle, during the mash. Drain the mash runnings into something (a bucket, a pot, whatever) and add the sparge water to the bottling bucket. Drain that, and combine runnings and boil. You won't form DMS from sitting just a couple of minutes during a batch sparge.

That way, all you need is one very large grain bag.

This is a good solution. Although, instead of draining the mash into something else (which would require another/second pot), couldn't he just lift the bag out of the bottling bucket, let it drip until mostly dry and then set the bag into the original boil kettle (that would by now have sparge water in it) to rinse/sparge? After sparge, he could lift the bag out again, let it drip-dry and then pour the bottling bucket contents back into the kettle. This would require even less vessels - one pot and one bottling bucket.

One more thing, in the winter, I ferment indoors with a heat blanket wrapped around my carboys on the low or second lowest setting. It holds 65°-68° F perfectly when fermenting. A small heat blanket or even a heat pad (i.e.for your back) set on 7 or 8 would help keep a mash at optimum temps.

Thanks to all that posted. I will let you know how my partial mash goes ..I may try to do it with the equipment that I have and include some of your suggestions. Thanks again!

How did it all go? If you still need some help:

http://***********/component/resource/article/511-countertop-partial-mashing

This is the technique I do. You can use any cooler. If it's too big, it's alright. You might lose more temps though. Just wrap it as everyone says. The heating pad works as well.

I've done 5 batches this way. They all turned out great.

Back