learning to identify off tastes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerAg

Reaction score
So, I was thinking, there are a lot of off flavors that can make a beer not so great to the judging community.

What is the best way to go about learning to pick up on these tastes?

For instance, if I wanted to learn to detect diacetyl, what is the best way to identify it in beer?

Is there a commercial beer out there that is a huge diacetyl bomb?
Could I just make a small 1 gallon batch of beer and make is a diacetyl bomb on purpose?

Advice?

Per the BCJP exam study guide, you add any of the following to 12 oz. of a clean lager:

sour / acidic: lactic acid (1/3 tsp. of a solution consisting of 1/8 tsp. lactic acid and 3/8 tsp. distilled water)

sour / acidic: white wine vinegar (3/4 tsp.)

bitterness: iso-hop extract (1 to 2 drops)

sweetness: table sugar (1/4 tsp. dissolved in 1/2 tsp. water)

astringency: grape tannin (2 tsp. of a solution consisting of 1/8 tsp. tanning dissolved in 5 tbsp. water)

phenolic: chloroseptic (1/3 tsp. of a solution consisting of 1/8 tsp. chloroseptic and 3/8 tsp. water)

clovelike: clove solution (soak 8 cloves in 3 oz. of beer and add 4 tsp. to the lager)

sulfitic: potassium metabisulfate (1/2 tsp. of a solution consisting of a potassium metabisulfate tabled dissolved in 3 oz. of beer)

alcoholic: ethanol (2 tsp., or use 3 tsp. vodka as a substitute)

sherry-like: dry sherry (3 tsp.)

nutty: almond extract (1/8 tsp. of a solution consisting of 1/8 tsp. almond extract and 5/8 tsp. water)

papery / stale: expose beer to air, reseal, and keep at 100 F or warmer for several days

winey: white wine (2 tbsp.)

diacetyl: butter extract (4-5 drops)

estery: banana extract (6-7 drops)

lightstruck: expose commercial beer in green bottles to sunlight for 1-3 days

Just a note, some of the commercial beers listed with a particular flavor have changed significantly from the time of the writing of this reference so they may not have the described characteristic flavors. I did not see a date on abgbrew.com reference.

Dr Malt

Back