Learning flavors and how they relate to ingredents

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tampa911

Reaction score
For the first few years of my drinking life, I enjoyed liquor (high end vodkas straight up, Scotch, Tequila, etc) and would have a beer from time to time. When I started liking beer, I did not do a great deal of experimenting. I would find a beer that I liked somewhere and stuck with it. I grew up in Philly so Yuengling is my everyday go-to beer, and there have been months that go by where nothing else enters my beer fridge.

A convinence store opened a block from my house that has "over 200 microbrews" and build your own six packs, so I have started to experiment quite a bit. I find it quite difficult to identify what flavors in the different beers I like and dislike, and if that flavor profile is indicative of the style, or just that particular brand.

What is the best way to get familiar with the flavors and characteristics of different beer styles, and more importantly how they translate to ingredients in a recipe?

For instance, since I started brewing, I have been collecting non-twist off bottles and am drinking quite a wide variation of beers now. If I go back to a Yuengling, there is something completely different in the aftertaste than what I taste when I am drinking it regularly. I have no way to quantify what that taste is and therefore no way to know where it would come from in a recipe. Truly it is a flavor that I don't care for but it goes away after 3 or 4 beers, but it is something I would probably try to avoid in my own recipes.

Not sure if this is the right forum for this topic feel free to move it if there is a better location.

I've been doing some SMaSH brews just for this reason. I can definitely spot 2-Row malt now and starting to get a feel for hops- especially cascade.

I used to write beer reviews on beeradvocate.com. Reading other peoples' reviews while drinking the same beer is a great way to learn, and writing out everything you can taste, smell, or otherwise perceive will really refine your palate. I used to go to Bottleworks in Seattle (a 2+ hour drive from where I lived at the time) and spend $200-300 on individual bottles from all around the world. Exposing yourself to as many different styles as possible is a great way to learn.

Writing reviews is a great little hobby; It doesn't take much time out of your day. While enjoying a new beer you've never had before, just sit and write out what you perceive. The longer you do it, the better you get!

Back