Learned a lesson lastnight

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

usmcoklahoma

Reaction score
After I got off work, I went home and changed clothes. I decided that since I was about to go to my buddies place and play my copy of the new Medal of Honor game (superb game by the way) I might as well grab some beer. Now right quick, incase someone tries to call me out as an armchair general, I was a Marine grunt for 4 years and I happen to like these kind of games. Getting back on point, I decided that Sam Adams beer isn't to shabby and I wanted to try their Cherry Wheat beer cause I like cherries........ boy was that a mistake! This stuff tasted like hoppy, malty cherry cough syrup with a heavy wheat taste and gave me a headache. Not sure I wanna try that again but atleast I got more bottles. I thought that maybe if I liked it I would try to make a clone.... ya that's not happening.

SA Cherry and Blackberry are for sh&$%!!. I can't imagine how they arrived at the conclusion that these are to be added to their rotation. If they made the Noble Pils a year round beer, I'd bet they sell a ton. Cherry--- BIG TIME thumbs down.

eh. the only time i like anything sam adams is in boston. tastes fresher there. or the noble pils is ok too.

i dont even like to use their bottles since they have that stupid little "samuel adams" signature glassed on there. MY BEER IS NOT A SAM ADAMS.

I always think of the Sam Adams line as a caricature of whatever they're aiming for. That doesn't mean it's bad. It just means that whatever the style is known for, Sam Adams will go over-the-top with it. In the Noble Pils case, that still makes a great beer. In the Cherry Wheat's case, not so much.

I agree SA Cherry wheat is nasty. I HATE cough syrup flavor in anything. I feel prey to the 6er of SA CW as well and I now know better. I will get 1 bottle from the mixed 6er shelf or a bar to try or I wont buy it, IF no one here is raving about it...
As for MoH games they ROCK! some of my favys. I would suggest some good german beers or some IPA's (depending on what side you are playing!) but that is just me!

GL and Happy Head Hunting!

Sam Adams to me is "meh...ok".

I like their Boston Lager and Octoberfest but everything else seems boring or nasty.

There was a thread about the worst commercial beer you have ever tasted. Went about 40 pages or so and SA Cherry was mentioned the most often i think.

As long as we're talking about SA, I had part of a large bottle of SA's Chocolate Bock the other night. Definitely chocolate flavored and very smooth. It's the first Sam Adams that I have enjoyed.

I love their Scotch Ale and Black Lager as well. SA does some great beers and some poor beers, but I think that is unavoidable with a lineup as diverse as they have.

I found out the hard way about the 'anchor six'...always comes in a mixed case with other beers and there are always five left at the end of the case. Those five are as hard to get rid of an old rusty boat anchor. Costco had the Sam Adams mixed cases and they always come with the Blackberry Wit or the Cherry Wheat; both taste like cough syrup to me.

So, maybe we should start a thread called 'Who likes Sam Adams Cherry Wheat? Anyone?' then send the link to Sam Adams, Maybe they'll start filling those slots with better beers.

Noble Pils is great, probably the only SA beer I drink. Totally wish it was available all year. Unfortunately, I don't have any means of lagering or else I'd try to put a clone together.

There was a thread about the worst commercial beer you have ever tasted. Went about 40 pages or so and SA Cherry was mentioned the most often i think.

Yeah... the countless number of responses to that thread made me want to go out & buy some just to experience its awefulness first-hand. But I couldn't bring myself to spring for a 6-pack when 5 1/2 of them would likely be going down the drain.

Anyone want to go in for a group buy on a 6-pack with me? :)

Sam Adams makes some great beers, and I can't figure out how the hell Coastal Wheat, Cherry Wheat, and Blackberry Wit are all regular, year round beers, but stuff like their old White Ale spring seasonal gets designated to the depths of the seasonal variety pack.

I hate fruit beers, so maybe Cherry/Blackberry just aren't for me, but Coastal Wheat tastes like a pile of ass. I can't see anyone liking that.

Yeah... the countless number of responses to that thread made me want to go out & buy some just to experience its awefulness first-hand. But I couldn't bring myself to spring for a 6-pack when 5 1/2 of them would likely be going down the drain.

Anyone want to go in for a group buy on a 6-pack with me? :)

Find a make your own 6 pack store, that's how I tried Lost Coast Tangerine Wheat and realized that it was awful without having 5 more to throw away

Sam Adams fruit beers are just awful.... everything else I'm ok with, some are really good. But those fruit beers make me Choke! Oh and their wheats are horrible things too!

I can't figure out how the hell Coastal Wheat, Cherry Wheat, and Blackberry Wit are all regular, year round beers, but stuff like their old White Ale spring seasonal gets designated to the depths of the seasonal variety pack.

For the same reason I used to throw a few 4-packs of wine coolers in w/ my gear when heading to the river.

Hint: They sit down to pee.

:D

Seriously though - thanks for the heads-up on 'make your own 6-pack' stores. Didn't know such a thing existed!

I really don't mind one of their blackberry's every now and then, but the cherry is indeed noxious swill.

I love their Scotch Ale and Black Lager as well. SA does some great beers and some poor beers, but I think that is unavoidable with a lineup as diverse as they have.

Yeah, I like me some SA Scotch Ale. I also like their Boston Lager, Boston Ale, Black Lager, and Oktoberfest. Even grocery stores and restaurants with small beer selections usually have SA. For that I am thankful to SA.

But Cherry Wheat sucks. Tastes just like cough syrup. But some people like the taste of cough syrup I guess. Coastal Wheat, however, tastes like dish soap. Who the hell likes the taste of dish soap??? Seriously, who is drinking this stuff?

For the same reason I used to throw a few 4-packs of wine coolers in w/ my gear when heading to the river.

Hint: They sit down to pee.

:D

Seriously though - thanks for the heads-up on 'make your own 6-pack' stores. Didn't know such a thing existed!

I can see girls liking the fruity stuff, but Coastal Wheat? It just tastes sort of tart/off. Blech.

Also, not sure if any of these are near you, but this is where I go for my beer...they break up 6 packs and have great prices/selection overall:
http://www.totalwine.com/StoreList.aspx?state=AZ&store=1002

I love Sam Adams Boston Brick Red. Unfortunately they don't bottle it and only sell it kegs of it to bars/restaurants within 15 miles of Boston.

The Cherry Wheat is still 100x better than the Sam Cranberry Lambic. I couldn't even get drunk college girls to drink that stuff.

I can see girls liking the fruity stuff, but Coastal Wheat? It just tastes sort of tart/off. Blech.

Also, not sure if any of these are near you, but this is where I go for my beer...they break up 6 packs and have great prices/selection overall:
http://www.totalwine.com/StoreList.aspx?state=AZ&store=1002

I'm not saying they hit their mark and produced a beer anyone likes - man or woman. Just that this was likely their target market. Or so I assume.

And again, thanks Munche. I really appreciate the heads-up. My liver thanks you as well. It's tired of absorbing 6-packs (or more :drunk:) in a single sitting just to sample a new brew!

I love Sam Adams Boston Brick Red. Unfortunately they don't bottle it and only sell it kegs of it to bars/restaurants within 15 miles of Boston..

Not true...I has it at the American pavilion in epoch center in walt Disney world....but that was the only other place I've ever seen it outside of Boston (saw it there in early September while drinking around the world)

Back in the mid-90's was when I had my first Cherry Wheat. At the time I liked it a lot. I remember it being rather creamy with a mellow cherry flavor. That being said, I recently decided to grab a six-pack for the first time in well over a decade. It was FAR from what I remember it being. It actually left me wondering if my taste buds evolved, or if their recipe deteriorated.

It was a major disappointment because of the fond memories I have from back in the day.

Back in the mid-90's was when I had my first Cherry Wheat. At the time I liked it a lot. I remember it being rather creamy with a mellow cherry flavor. That being said, I recently decided to grab a six-pack for the first time in well over a decade. It was FAR from what I remember it being. It actually left me wondering if my taste buds evolved, or if their recipe deteriorated.

It was a major disappointment because of the fond memories I have from back in the day.

I remember drinking rather a lot of it in the late 90's, but I was in my early 20's and anything that wasn't BMC was ok by me then...plus they were the "local" guys.

I nearly picked some up the other day just to see if it still lives up to my memories, but after reading this thread, I think I'm glad I didn't. Probably would have if I hadn't spotted that 6er of Longshot. (At least with that I have no expectation that I'm necessarily gonna like them...)

After I got off work, I went home and changed clothes. I decided that since I was about to go to my buddies place and play my copy of the new Medal of Honor game (superb game by the way) I might as well grab some beer. Now right quick, incase someone tries to call me out as an armchair general, I was a Marine grunt for 4 years and I happen to like these kind of games. Getting back on point, I decided that Sam Adams beer isn't to shabby and I wanted to try their Cherry Wheat beer cause I like cherries........ boy was that a mistake! This stuff tasted like hoppy, malty cherry cough syrup with a heavy wheat taste and gave me a headache. Not sure I wanna try that again but atleast I got more bottles. I thought that maybe if I liked it I would try to make a clone.... ya that's not happening.

HA HA that's funny, there's a forum entitled "What's the worst beer you've ever had" and that cherry wheat comes up a lot.

Hint: They sit down to pee.QUOTE]

Yeah, my wife like it though she stands up to pee. It sucks when I come home from work and that is the only thing in the fridge.

*thinking* I guess I'll just be ****ing sober while I listen to my wife talk about whatever the hell happened on the real housewives.

What is unavoidable is that a brewery with an array of beers will have them all hit everyone's taste....or maybe that's one reason why they brew an array of beers. My spouse likes SA Cherry Wheat. I don't care for adjuncts in any beers but the big stouts & porters, and then coffee / chocolate are OK. But wait......isn't a gob of hops sort of an adjunct? Oh, I forgot, I like the belgians, even when they have orange peel & stuff in them.....oh never mind.

I really enjoy several of the SA beers. Especially Octoberfest and Summer Shandy. Very drinkable beers. With fruit beers I find that its a love hate relationship with beer drinkers. I really enjoy the lemon flavored beers in Spring and Summer. The SA Blackberry I thought was another excellent summer brew. You guys are correct about the Cherry Wheat. It's pretty nasty! I really enjoy almost all styles of Beer. Variety is the spice of life.

Back