Leaky Spigot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jehahn

Reaction score
Hi folks,

My dad passed onto me his homebrew equipment (out of use for probably 10 years). I brewed my first batch last night and put it to ferment into the plastic tub with the spigot (not a great idea I've found after reading on line here). This morning I've discovered a slow leak in the spigot. I have another spigotless bucket as well. Can I transfer (with my plastic tubing) the beer from the spigot bucket to the no-spigot bucket at this stage in the game or would that be a problem? If I can't transfer any ideas on how to stop the leak?

Thanks,
Jason

It's not ideal, but if you can't stop the leak, you may have no choice. (I hate those cheap spigots.) If it's leaking around the outside of the valve, sometimes a gentle twist will seal things by reorienting the rubber seal.

If you have to transfer, sanitize everything carefully and do your best not to splash or otherwise oxygenate the wort.

I has a small leak but solved it by moving it a touch away from the off position towards the on. Weird I know but if I squeezed it to far in the off position, it leaked.

I had the same problem. I soon realised that it was not the best set up. My leak was slow enought that i was able to put some paper towels underneath the spigot, and it eventually stopped. Then when i went to bottle my brew i had discovered that the nut that was screwed onto the spigot was totally off and floating in my beer. luckily me it didnt blow!

I had the same problem. I soon realised that it was not the best set up. My leak was slow enought that i was able to put some paper towels underneath the spigot, and it eventually stopped. Then when i went to bottle my brew i had discovered that the nut that was screwed onto the spigot was totally off and floating in my beer. luckily me it didnt blow!

Yikes!

Sounds like a lucky near miss!

Latest posts

Back