Leaky poppet on my corny

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pickngrin

Reaction score
I've been out of brewing for years and just jumped back in. I recently kegged a batch and have found it to be undercarbonated. I cranked up the regulator again, let it sit for days, bled off the excess pressure, and drew a glass...same problem. I had removed the beverage line (just a cobra tap) and when I noticed beer pooled in the bottom of the fridge, I realized that there is a small, slow leak in the beverage keg post. I suppose this is why my beer is still undercarbonated. I have a few questions.
1. Can I keep the tap connected while I leave the keg sitting with the CO2 psi raised to carbonate? Or will I wind up with beer shooting out of the cobra tap?

2. Once the keg is empty, do I need to replace the poppet or a different part?
Also, are the legs of the poppets supposed to lock inside the keg post? I'm not even positive that I have the right poppet in there. I haven't used these kegs in probably 8 years and frankly don't remember the ins & outs of maintaining them.

Also, I just scored a Sanyo 4910M through Craigslist today, and am eager to make good use of it with a couple of kegs!

Thanks!

I'd bleed all the pressure out of the keg, remove the beer-out post, take the poppet out, clean it and give it a little keg lube, reassemble, and see if you still have the problem.

Both times I've had a similar situation, this did the trick...it was a little pice of gunk keeping the poppet from sealing.

1. You can leave the tap on without any problem.

3. Some poppet legs snap in, others don't.

Back