Leaky perlick

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

socalboomer

Reaction score
Hi all

So I have a perlick that's leaking. I pulled it and cleaned it. It seems that the ball is seating well but won't seal when I hook it up...

Can someone point me in the right direction? What should I be looking for?

Also, my co2 is pretty much empty. It was running low when this cropped up, now it's empty...

Thanks for the pointers...

the co2 tank running low and the leaky perlick shouldn't have anything to do with each other. the leaky perlick might be due to stuff stuck in it. i'd run a tank of blc through it to make sure it's not clogged up. if it's a bad faucet, perlick stands behind their warranty

Perls are totally reliant on beer line pressure to hold a seal - there are no springs in a Perl. If beer line pressure gets low enough I could see why one might start to dribble.

Get the tank charged up before you do anything dramatic. If it still leaks out the spout you might want to replace the #2 o-rings...

Cheers!

Perls are totally reliant on beer line pressure to hold a seal - there are no springs in a Perl. If beer line pressure gets low enough I could see why one might start to dribble.

Get the tank charged up before you do anything dramatic. If it still leaks out the spout you might want to replace the #2 o-rings...

Cheers!

thanks a ton! I will be getting a refill on Wednesday so will post after that.

Really appreciate the pointers...

A few tips on tuning a Perl.

If you tighten the bonnet (item 7) too much the friction of the faucet lever (5/6) pivot against the two #2 o-rings will make it harder for the faucet to hold a seal. You want the bonnet just tight enough to not let beer dribble up through the handle area while still allowing the faucet handle to move smoothly and easily, with just a modest resistance.

Also, any time you break down the faucet for cleaning, put a film of keg lube on all of the o-rings. It helps avoid pinching o-rings during assembly and does make everything feel smoother. The upper #2 o-ring is easily distorted if you assembly the faucet bone dry, so if not keg lube, at least wet everything down.

Finally, if after cleaning and adjusting the faucet still drips out of the spout, flip the #3 o-ring over so the lever ball seats against the other face. And if that doesn't work, replace that o-ring...

perlick_525ss_part.gif

fwiw, I have a half dozen 525SS faucets and they are extremely well behaved, though I did have to tune-up one of them before it fell in line. They're just a pleasure to use...

Cheers!

Thanks!

I got the new CO2 hooked up and it looks good to go!

I will make the adjustments to #7 you mentioned!

Thanks guys!

Back