leaky leaky

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

android

Reaction score
i did the test to find a leak by turning on the tank without connecting the ball lock and turning it off to see if it would hold steady at 30 psi. it didn't, i figured maybe it was the regulator equalizing, but it went down pretty far, to 10 or so.

i have a new plastic washer on the tank connection and sprayed down all the connections with soapy water... nothing.

the only thing i didn't have tightened during the first test was the nut that tightens up against the body of the regulator on the pressure set screw... would any co2 be able to leak from that?

gracias.

well, i tightened the nut and no luck. it went from 30 down to 10 overnight... can't find this leak anywhere. the regulator is a little older, got it from a buddy and it has some thread seal compound on all threaded connections... i tried to take it apart for reassembly but those things won't budge... if i CAN get them off, should i use yellow gas line thread tape or thread seal compound to redo all the connections?

as in the entire co2 tank with regulator attached??

on a positive note, the kolsch inside the keg is tasting nice! how many pints should i count on being a bit cloudy??

just splash some soapy water on any connections, you should see your leak bubbling instantly.

I dunk the grey quick disconnects in a pitcher of water, sometimes they leak ever so slightly.

i may try the grey disconnects in water...

i tried spraying the connections liberally with soapy water to no avail.

no, the kegs were not connected when i saw the drop in pressure.

oddly, after setting it to serving pressure tonight, it seems to be holding steady at 15 psi. i set it at 10 and after being in the fridge a while, it upped to 15. i disconnected it, turned off the tank and it's been holding the 15 ever since... i'll check it in the morn and see if i need to further investigate it.

thanks for the replies.

ok, it's dropped down again to 8 overnight, i thought it might hold at 15, but no dice... i'll be doing some dunk tests in the bathtub tonight. i will let y'all know what i discover...

is there any worry about the pressure gauge being submerged?

there actually isn't a pressure relief valve on my regulator... it's an oldie. maybe i should just pony up and get a new one.

Latest posts

Back