Leaky keg or paranoia?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CallMeZoot

Reaction score
I'm new to kegging so I don't always know what to expect.

Just bought a used, reconditioned cornie, filled it up with water/PBW, and soaked it for a while. Sloshed it around for a while, and when I turned it upside-down (lid on and sealed) it started to dribble. It appears that it's dribbling out of the little holes surrounding the pressure-release valve (it seems to happen when the valve is closed or open).

Is this normal, or is this a leak?

For what it's worth, it was fully pressurized when I brought it home from the store tonight--when I released the valve there was a long, forceful expulsion of air.

Thanks,
chris.

CallMeZoot said:
For what it's worth, it was fully pressurized when I brought it home from the store tonight--when I released the valve there was a long, forceful expulsion of air.

Thanks,
chris.

Sounds good so far.
I would pressure test all new components in a system...I started a thread previously on this topic and some of the advice on it was indispensable.

Cheers
BeerCanuck

Sometimes the kegs need a little pressure inside to get a good seal. Hit it up with about 10 PSI of pressure and then see if it leaks. The extra pressure inside presses the lid up and out and sort of holds it in place.

Be extremely skeptical of that relief valve. It may hold pressure fine most of the time, but the one time it doesn't seal, you'll loose 5 lbs of CO2 and not figure it out, till you're trying to serve your buddy a pint.

I'm having the same problem. No matter how much I have tried to tighten the pressure release valve, it still makes a small hissing sound, provides a poor pour speed for that tap, and after the first day resulted in an empty co2 tank.

Any thoughts on fixing that issue?

OblivionsGate said:
I'm having the same problem. No matter how much I have tried to tighten the pressure release valve, it still makes a small hissing sound, provides a poor pour speed for that tap, and after the first day resulted in an empty co2 tank.

Any thoughts on fixing that issue?

I depends on the type of relief valve some of them have a small rubber grommet that can be replaced.

Some relief valves are entirely replacable and some such as the old plastic Firestones are almost impossible to find replacements for.

Also it could be the lid it's self. Try rotating the lid 180 degrees.

Also try some keg lub on the rubber parts.

Back