Leaky Coupler?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simps984

Reaction score
Hello all,

I've tried searching for this and it hasn't really come up, so I figured I'd ask. I'm experiencing a leak where the coupler (Sankey) meets my keg (a 1/6 barrel keg of Ommegang's Hennepin Saison). I will re-emphasize that I don't have a soda keg, but rather a commercial 1/6 barrel keg. The leak is certainly coming from where the coupler meets the keg, as beer is foaming up through that connection.

A couple of notes: This is my first keg, and it did get shaken up a bit in transit. I've only had the keg on CO2 for a short while now... is this just normal behavior for a keg that got a little too roughly treated? I've tried tightening and re-connecting the coupler and yet it still foams up through the connection. I'm out of ideas, any advice?

Thanks!

Did you turn the coupler all the way until it hit the stop's? Did you lube the coupler and keg seals? How old is the coupler? It may need the rubber seal replaced. Even if the keg was shaken it shouldn't leak when tapped.

wildwest450 said:
Did you turn the coupler all the way until it hit the stop's? Did you lube the coupler and keg seals? How old is the coupler? It may need the rubber seal replaced. Even if the keg was shaken it shouldn't leak when tapped.

This is a brand new coupler. It came with the kegerator that I just received as a graduation present. I will try retapping it and really turning the coupler hard, as far as it will go.

EDIT: As for keg lube, where can I get that, how much does it cost, and how do I use it?

Is it leaking from where the beer out line connects to the coupler or where the coupler connects to the keg?

OK I just checked and really tightened my coupler.

The leak is definitely not coming from where the beer line connects to the coupler. It is either coming up from where the keg and coupler connect, or it may be coming from a point around the pressure release valve. It is hard to tell right now because there is so much foamy beer.

Thanks for any help you guys can offer!

You can use plumbers grease as a substitute for keg lube, you can get it a most hardware stores for a couple bucks.

Keith

gaffrig24 said:
You can use plumbers grease as a substitute for keg lube, you can get it a most hardware stores for a couple bucks.

Keith

Is that food grade? I don't know if you want plumber's grease in your beer. You need a food grade lubricant, if you can't find this locally, many people use Vaseline Petroleum Jelly, and claim it leaves no after taste. But if it's a new coupler I doubt it's because of lube. I would check the gas tailpiece to make sure it's tight. Besides that it may be a defective coupler. The pressure release valve may be bad.

Mine came with a washer stored under the tap handle. It was not mentioned in the instructions so I assumed it was some sort of replacement washer for inside the faucet. When I connected up my first commercial keg it leaked and could not figure out where it was coming from. When I finally realized it was coming out of the beer line connection I placed the washer under the tail piece and there were no more leaks.

You know there are different versions of Sanke couplings. I'm not sure which breweries use which but it's quite possible that they're not the same. I'd imagine your stock kegger expects an American D which is for Bud/Coors for example. Maybe Ommagang doesn't use that style.

Back