Leaky corny

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjmac85

Reaction score
One of my coworkers just gifted me a corny keg that he is having leaks on. He said if I can fix it I can keep it. I noticed that one of the sides has some wiggle to it. The ring looks good and it has been looked over by a few people. I don't have a kegging set up right now but if I believe I could have him pressurize it to see if it works or not after tinkering. I have a video of what I noticed MIGHT be the problem. So is this normal?

[ame]http://youtu.be/nTjJUeGC5fw[/ame]

Get a new set of o-rings.

I'll bet if you get 30 psi in that thing and just lift on the lid a little, it will seal right up and stay that way even when you back it down to serving pressure. The lid seal may not be the culprit here. The pressure relief valve could be leaking or even the IN post was leaking. The area of the lid with minimal psi will exert enough pressure to form a good o-ring into the groove between the lid and the keg.
Put the thing together and give it some pressure then pour a non-sudsy solution of dish soap and water over it. you'll find your leak..

If hitting it with pressure doesn't work stick a penny or two under the foot on that side.

One foot of the lid clamp is bent. You can see the gap between the U on the lid and the wire of the foot. A vice and a hammer, or vice grips and channel lock pliers should be able to fix it. Pennies under the foot on that side might work as a temporary fix, but since you'd need two or three it might be tricky to keep them from sliding.

Back