Leaky bottling bucket spigots

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vamo

Reaction score
A bit of background I bought out another homebrew completely. This included 2 "True Brew" brand bottling buckets. Both are leaking around the spigots. One is fairly slow and I would be ok living with the loss that would occur in a 1hr bottling session, though I'd like to have the option to use it as a fermenter . The other has a fairly fast leak and I would not even want to use it to bottle.

The leaks seem to persist no matter how much I tighten loosen and just generally fiddle with the spigot. Does anyone have any simple solutions? I want to replace the gaskets, would any hardware store carry these or do I need to make a special trip to a HB supplier/order online.

For how cheap they are I would never use a used bucket. Maybe for bottling but only if it really looked perfect. Store grain or sanitize stuff in the old buckets and get new ones.

At least replace the spigots. They're only a few bucks each and they don't last forever. The one that's leaking a lot is likely cracked at the threads where they pass through the wall of the bucket.

Have you taken them apart to clean/sanitize them? If not, you can never tell what's growing in those nooks and crannies.

Spigots do seem to crack eventually. I've only had one crack and it was the one a friend gave me to start out. Who knows how many batches he made with it.

How's the hole size in the bucket where the spigot passes through? Mine is small enough (or snug) that I have to lightly wiggle the spigot in. It's accurately sized in other words.

Are you using two gaskets? I am. One inside and one out.

You might find replacement gaskets. I'd just buy replacement spigots that come with a pair of gaskets. The gaskets may even outlive the spigot that they came with.

Lastly I've found the best seal to be tight, but not so tight that it deforms the gasket in to an oval shape. That will happen if you tighten it too much. I suspect that can affect the seal

I do use gaskets on both the inside and out, the spigot is a fairly tight fit, I cant just push it through with screwing it in anyway. Are spigot sizes pretty much universal?

I think that the spout of the spigot varies more in size than the diameter of the threaded section.

If you ever need a new bucket you can drill the hole yourself. My HBS was using a standard hole drill bit, for wood. I like mine drilled a little higher than what my hbs was drilling. Just to keep it off the trub better

Sometimes bottling spigots have stiff, white washers that need a heck of a lot of torque to seal. Try finding softer EPDM (black) washers at the hardware store.

At least replace the spigots. They're only a few bucks each and they don't last forever. The one that's leaking a lot is likely cracked at the threads where they pass through the wall of the bucket.

Have you taken them apart to clean/sanitize them? If not, you can never tell what's growing in those nooks and crannies.

Agreed. I take my spigot off after every use for cleaning and sanitation.

Thanks for all the reply's guys going to put off addressing it until I go shopping this weekend. New home brew store in town so its as good excuse as any to check it out.

Check the spigots to make sure they're in good shape. Clean & sanitize them as well. you probably just need new seals. The spigot should be very snug,but not tight. That's how I keep mine from leaking. The threaded side of the average spigot is 1". I've seen bigger diameter ones,but not often. I like the red & white Italian ones.

+1 on the gaskets... I use them on both sides of my spigots. If it still leaks play with the positioning of them until the leak stops. I have to give mine a few tries when I take the spigot our and clean it but I'm always able to get it not to leak.
If the spigots are leaking from the actual nozzle then I'd replace the spigots. If it's from the sides, or from the hole in the bucket, then try the gasket idea. If neither fix it get a new bucket.

Latest posts

Back