Leaking somewhere

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burrito

Reaction score
I've been force carbing for the last 3 days and I've now realized I must have a leak somewhere.

When I first hooked up the regulator, opened the tank, dialed up the pressure and turned the valve releasing the gas to my keg of beer, I noticed a very faint hiss. I tried the soapy spray test to locate a leak but no luck. I was just about sure I had narrowed it down to the central diaphragm when it seemed like it had stopped.

Since I no longer heard the hiss I figured everything must be cool. However now my gauge is in the red (meaning I'm almost out of gas). So obviously its escaping from somewhere.

I'm going to double check everything later with the soapy water, but I may need to replace the keg o-rings. My fear is that I'll be exposing my beer to O2 and also I need it fully carved by Friday.

Any suggestions on best way forward? Not too happy that I'm gonna have to go pay for another tank exchange.

Your beer should be fine, just move slowly.

No need to replace the liquid side. If the leak was there you would have a puddle.

I would re-do all thread connections with fresh tape and then coat most everything in keg lube.

Most common spot to leak is the lid on the keg, I have to run mine up to about 30 psi to get e'm to seal perfect, then back everything down to where I want it.

Most common spot to leak is the lid on the keg, I have to run mine up to about 30 psi to get e'm to seal perfect, then back everything down to where I want it.

I put my ear over the lid, didn't hear anything, but I'll give it a shot

You may want to just pressurize the keg and unhook it.

If there is no hiss at all, then the gas line is where it is happening.

Found the problem... Just needed to adjust and tighten a hose clamp. Easy fix after all.

Get some of those stepless clamps. They're permanent, because you have to crimp them on, but they don't loosen up... or leak. Only downside is you have to cut them off if you change anything. Luckily, they only cost like 50¢. Don't buy the overpriced tool for them. Just use some wire cutters to crimp them on.

I haven't had a gas leak in years.

Alright, another quick question. I didn't want to start another thread.

Its been sitting under pressure for about 5 days (slow leak in line for about 2 days). I didn't think the leak was enough to cause much delay in carbing. But I tried it last night thinking it should be almost good to drink. It sat at 20 psi for the first 24 hours then at 12 for the rest of the time. Last night it was still completely flat. Does that seem right? I have friends coming over on Sunday to try it so it would be great to have drinkable beer by then.

I put it back up to 20 psi last night and its now been there for a little over 12 hours. And its been at serving temp the whole time also.

Should I jack it up to 30 for another 24 hours? I just want it carbonated quickly without risking over carb. I guess its not really possible to burst carb with zero risk tho huh?

Back