Leaking sodastream adapter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Destraktor

Reaction score
Hi there fellow homebrewers! After making several batches with natural carbonation I am trying to make my first steps with forced carbonation. I wanted to begin with some low cost equipment and bought a regulator and some carbonation caps in order to carbonate some beer in PET bottles. I also bought a soda stream adapter in order to use sodastream CO2 bottles as my CO2 source. (US $45.99 50% OFF|Home Brew Beer Gas Line Assembly, 5/16 ) The problem is that when a screw the regulator (with the adaptor on) on the sodastream CO2 bottle, the CO2 just flows under the adapter and I don't get any reading on the regulator. When I open the regulator I get some CO2 flow from the regulator but a lot of CO2 just bleeds under the adaptor. Do you believe that the problem is with the adaptor or the regulator?

Does your Soda Stream CO2 have a flat pin? On the link there is a graphic that tells you it wont work with the bottles with a flat pin.

Not the Sodastream CO2 bottle does not have a flat pin. I also checked some videos about how to adjust the pin of the adaptor and tried it, but it didnt change anything on the bleeding gas.

That may be the best thing to have happened to you. Stories are that using sodastream for soda is fine because soda doesn't have the head forming proteins of beer. When trying it on beer, you need to disengage the sodastream from the bottle and with beer, it foams.....a lot....like all over you, the floor, the wall, etc. Do a natural carbonation or go directly to kegging. There is no real inbetween.

Had a similar problem with my SodaStream adapter - the first CO2 tank I used that came with the SodaStream worked just fine on the first try. When I tried with a replacement tank it just leaked via the adapter and was unusable. Tanks were both SodaStream, but had some differences. Solved the problem by replacing the washer than came with the adapter with a larger more flexible one.

@OLBrews Thanks I'll try changing the washer and see if that helps.

@RM-NM I am not using the Sodastream machine to carbonate the beer, just the Sodastream CO2 bottle as a CO2 source with proper force carbonation equipment.

Back