Leaking shanks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NateSpringfield

Reaction score
Just completed my keezer build, I hooked the beer lines up to the taps (bought taps and shanks used) and faucets didn't leak, but where the beer line goes into the shank in the back did. I don't know if the o-rings are bad, or if they need to be lubricated somehow? I searched and found nothing, but don't know if I'm looking in the right forum or not. Any and all help and suggestions are appreciated so I can finally use my keezer!

For a possible quick-fix, remove the tails, wet the o-rings, and put them back on. Might just work. I had a couple of balky faucets when I put my tower together but once I wet their o-rings they seated perfectly and have never leaked since (must be 6 months and a few kegs each by now).

I think it should be a rule to never attach fittings with dry 'rings...

Cheers!

day_trippr said:
For a possible quick-fix, remove the tails, wet the o-rings, and put them back on. Might just work. I had a couple of balky faucets when I put my tower together but once I wet their o-rings they seated perfectly and have never leaked since (must be 6 months and a few kegs each by now).

I think it should be a rule to never attach fittings with dry 'rings...

Cheers!

Thanks for the quick reply - just wet them w/ water, some other liquid?

Thanks for the quick reply - just wet them w/ water, some other liquid?

I used plain water 'cuz I couldn't find my freakin' keg lube (darned tiny container always seems to wander off or crawl under something just when I need it ;) ) Just need something to keep the 'ring from grabbing on the spinning fitting and distorting...

Cheers!

I used plain water 'cuz I couldn't find my freakin' keg lube (darned tiny container always seems to wander off or crawl under something just when I need it ;) ) Just need something to keep the 'ring from grabbing on the spinning fitting and distorting...

Cheers!

Silicone faucet lubricant from a hardware store is the same thing as "keg lube". Cheaper, too.

:rockin:

Silicone faucet lubricant from a hardware store is the same thing as "keg lube". Cheaper, too.

:rockin:

Could be the same thing. Could also contain petro distillates that will eat up O-rings (aka "plumber's lube").

Keg Lube is food grade, doesn't have petro distillates, and from what I can see, at worst it's about a half-buck pricier for a life-time supply...

Cheers!

I have also heard KY Jelly is an okay substitute for keg lube, and somehow easier to find in stores...

Thanks for all the info guys, hoping once I get home from work I apply some lubricant and have me a draft of AHB 20th Anniversary Kolsch

images

this will last many lifetimes - a tiny smear is all it takes - use it on every o-ring, and when popping on and off those ball lock connectors...

I'd be cautious about using any petroleum based lubricant on o-rings. Some manufacturers specifically warn against using petro lubes on their products (eg: Mohn, for just one) as they can dissolve seals/gaskets/o-rings over time...

Cheers!

Are you talking about where the vinyl beer line attaches to the barbed end of the shank? I had this problem recently. I had pumped several kegs through it and then it randomly decided to start slowly leaking without it ever being touched. It drove me nuts, especially since it's so difficult to get any work done inside of the cramped tower. My fix was to use some thick wire to wrap it around the hose over the shank with some needle nose pliers. It's basically a cheap maneuverable hose clamp. Did the trick just fine.

Thanks for the response gator but that is not what I'm talking about. My problem is where the shank and barb meet. I've purchased 4 new o-rings, lubes them up and hoping for some time this evening to put everything back together. The old o-rings were nasty and brittle, I am sure that was my problem.

Back