Leaking ported better bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr. Awesome

Reaction score
I bought two ported better bottles. In one I have a stout conditioning, and in the other I just started a batch of apfelwine. The tap on the stout has just a little bit of gooey wort leaking out. Nothing dripped because it looks like the wort dried before anything else could leak through it. However, on the Apfelwein I'm losing about 1 teaspoon every 4 hours or so. Not a lot, bit I'm pissed these are leaking. I tried sanitizing the installation rod and tightening the spigot, but that didn't seem to do anything. I did install it correctly. Any suggestions, or does anyone else have some experience with this?

It happened to me on my first batch. Not only did I have it put together wrong, I did not close the valve 100%. It closed like 98% so just a drop at a time came out, but over two days time there was quite a bit on the floor. Better bottles web site has a breakdown of part order and some possible troubleshooting for leaks.

I've had that happen with my bottling bucket where it is just a minor inconvenience. Personally I wouldn't use a ported vessel as a fermentor. The convenience doesn't outway the risk for bacteria/wild yeast colonizing the port and contaminating your beer.

GT

I had that problem when I first started using BB's. Just make sure it's assembled correctly and tightened securely. It may take more force than you think. Also, test for leaks b4 the beer goes in.

Cheers

Got Trub? said:
Personally I wouldn't use a ported vessel as a fermentor. The convenience doesn't outway the risk for bacteria/wild yeast colonizing the port and contaminating your beer.

GT
That's my feeling on the subject too. Its easier to sanitize my tubing and auto-siphon, than to pre-sanitize the spigot and then re-sanitize it from the outside right before draining.

its an even worse idea to use a bottling bucket, since the spigot is so low you'll dump a ton of the yeast cake and trub into the secondary.

I had to re-tighten mine after first assembling them as well. IMHO, using the BB airless transfers greatly reduces the opportunity for contamination over any kind of siphoning operation. Sanitize the hose and BB fittings and you have zero atmospheric exposure to contamination.

Like others have said, it's easy to install all of these parts in the wrong order. I did the first time! I have 4 ported BBs and never had a leak. I've also never had a contamination/infection issue and I've never removed the valves. I soak them with oxyclean after use to clean them. Before filling them with wort/beer, I fill them with an iodophor solution, let them sit for a few minutes, and drain. The iodophor draining through the valve sanitizes it. Come racking time, I just twirl up a paper towel wetted with 70% Isopropyl alcohol and stick it up the valve from the outside, then let it dry. Although pricey, I'm very happy with my ported BBs.

That's more or less exactly what I do, also. No problems. In fact, if I want to keep it in a water bath to help keep it at a constant temp, I just rubber band a baggie around the spigot pretty tight. No problems or infections.

Cheers

Beside the fact that they are over priced with the ports,cleaning the spigot is a pain, and i have had one infected batch because of the spigot,I'll take my chances with the autosiphon anyday. Don't get me wrong, I like the better bottle, but I'll take mine straight up without the bells and whistles.

Latest posts

Back