Leaking Corny Keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morrey

Reaction score
I recently purchased 3 ball lock kegs from a fellow who had bought a bulk of kegs from the Pepsi distributor. Pepsi had pressure tested the kegs to 130 psi, and the ones that "popped" at the welds were discarded.

I took off the posts, removed the poppets and relief poppet from lid, soaked in PBW, then installed all new gaskets, applied keg lube. I applied 20 psi CO2, listened for leaks, applied soapy water, all well. Removed gas.

A week later 2 of the 3 were pressurized, but one did not hold.

What is my next step? Buy new posts with poppets? New lid with new relief valve? All the above? Thanks for suggestion!!

It depends on where it's leaking. But I bought a gasket set at the homebrew shop for 5 dollars that included a lid gasket and orings for the posts etc. I'd just replace them all. Actually I'm thinking that from now on I'll just start out with new orings every time I get a keg. I'd rather spend 5 dollars for orings than risk wasting all my CO2 and having flat and oxidized beer.

It depends on where it's leaking. But I bought a gasket set at the homebrew shop for 5 dollars that included a lid gasket and orings for the posts etc. I'd just replace them all. Actually I'm thinking that from now on I'll just start out with new orings every time I get a keg. I'd rather spend 5 dollars for orings than risk wasting all my CO2 and having flat and oxidized beer.

Thanks, Jim. Yes the gaskets/O-rings are a natural place to start which is exactly what I did. My problem is that I don't know where the keg is leaking. Soapy water and star san sprays did not reveal any bubbling at all. No audible leaks either. If there was a pin hole along a weld, Pepsi would have found that in the 130 psi test since the tank would have popped open. I'm thinking replacing the poppets is next, but if I go that route, I may as well get a new lid and posts since the poppets will be installed as part of that package.

Ah my fault, skimmed over the part of your post where you said you replaced o-rings already. One thing I saw is that you only used 20 PSI to seat the lid. You might try seating the lid at a little higher pressure, say 30 or 40 PSI. Also, are you using keg lube? That can help minimize those little pinhole leaks. Also do a leak test at higher PSI with soapy water technique to try and find those little pinhole leaks.

I have one keg that will seal at 30 psi and when you turn it down the lid starts to leak at serving pressure. I ran my finger around the underside of the lip and could feel a dent. Some times they cant be saved or aren't worth the hassle.

I have one keg that will seal at 30 psi and when you turn it down the lid starts to leak at serving pressure. I ran my finger around the underside of the lip and could feel a dent. Some times they cant be saved or aren't worth the hassle.

I could continue to chase this leak until the cows come home and still never find it. Best thing (I think) is to simply buy a new lid and posts, replace and that should solve the issue. If not, I got some spare parts and move on.

Back