Leaking co2 conundrum

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davew

Reaction score
I just added a second corney keg to my keg collection and kegged a fresh batch of beer. When i tested the keg before transferring the beer everything seemed fine.

After hooking up the gas at 10 psi I noticed what sounded like a constant hiss coming from the keg lid. Turns out its a fault pressure release valve. I swapped valves from my other keg and I was able to stop the his coming from the new keg.

So, here's the conumdrum:

I won't be able to get a new valve 'til tomorrow, so do I

A) leave the good valve in the new keg and let it start to carb
B) put the good valve back in the other keg that still has about 1 to 2 gallons of beer left?

I'm worried I may ruin 5 gallons of beer instead of two if I don't leave the good valve on the new keg.

Put the good valve on the old keg, drink 2 gallons, somehow manage to put the good valve on the new keg - I can see this going wrong somewhere along the way

See serious answer below:
I would not sweet it really, the new beer should be under a nice blanket of CO2 by now from the constant purging through the leaky valve, I would let it sit with no gas hooked up, put the good valve on the old keg to keep the carb in that beer and go get a new valve tomorrow. That way you can RDWHAHB now!

Back