Leaking Bottle of Extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

trmacdonal

Reaction score
I received an extract kit in the mail today that somehow was damaged in shipping. It had a half gallon bottle of dark malt that had the top pushed in. I would say about an ounce or two leaked out, what a mess. Anyway I am wondering if it is safe to use this malt, since it will be boiled anyway, or should I contact the company to get it sent back? I was hoping to brew tomorrow, but I don't want to ruin a whole batch before I even get started.

mmb

"I just got a new pet toaster!"
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
There shouldn't be anything wrong with the extract and it may be more of a hassle that it's worth to send it back, but I'd let the company know how your package arrived. If the box wasn't crushed in some way, there was a error in packing it to prevent movement in the box.

Might be worth a discount on your next order from "Insert Company Name Here."

OP
T

trmacdonal

Reaction score
As long as it won't spoil my batch I don't see any reason to send it back. I did let them know about it. I t was probably because of how it was packed, the box looked too small to hold the jug. The outside of the box had no visible damage. I want to give this company the benefit of the doubt, because I think they have good customer service and aren't a large Corp. I'll just chalk it up as a no real harm mistake then.
Would losing two ounces of DME out of a half gallon bottle have a noticeable effect on the beer? I wouldn't think it would matter, but better safe than sorry.

EvilTOJ

Reaction score
Nah it's not that much. If you really REALLY wanted those fermentables back, 1/3rd cup of corn sugar would work fine as a substitute. If it were me, I'd just say use it as is, it will be fine.