Leaking all that sweet, sweet beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dogbar

Reaction score
Ok, so I just moved to kegging after several years of bottling. The kegs came from an Internet merchant who shall remain nameless. They clearly came right off the soda truck, which is cool, they were pretty cheap.

Anyway, both are ball locks, although the posts look different, so I don't think I can just swap them between kegs to solve my problem.

All the seals seem fine, until I attach the "beer out" line. Then I get a serious leakage. Like instant puddle. I'm pretty sure I'm attached the connector correctly. I've read enough threads on that to know how it needs to sit all the way down.

My question now is what are the likeliest problems here. The o-rings aren't new, but they really didn't seem to be in bad shape. I'm going to order some new ones to replace what I have, but that'll take a couple days. Could the post itself be bad? The poppit inside? What should I be looking to replace?

While you chew on that, I'm going to go hook the other keg up and run some star san threw the system again. Then I'll at least be able to rule out anything non-keg as the problem.

I always replace all the o-rings on my kegs when i get them, is there a possibility that the posts are in the wrong locations, the liquid posts are different than the gas ones. and will leak or get stuck if they are connected. the gas in post should have a groove on the corners of the hex. it may be possible that you have a wrong post or they are mixed up.

That keg has nice "in" and "out" labels on it, so I got that part figured out, although it took me longer than it should have.

I think you're right about the o-ring. The other keg works fine. The only difference between all the seals and o-rings is that the blue exterior one on the problem post actually looks kind of shriveled in comparison.

I'll check back if that doesn't solve my issues.

Oh, and I just moved to the valley. Do the brew shops WAY and BC carry those parts? I've only been in to buy ingredients so far.

I was indeed the o-ring. Couldn't find a replacement at HD, but Ace had what I needed.

Amazing something so simple can cause such problems.

Back