Leak in Keg? Photo included, need help diagnosing / potentially fixing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
After my last beer was tapped out, I noticed a small amount of beer coming out of the side, where the plastic and metal meet. Is this something I can fix easily? Wasn't sure if I could just smother some silicoln caulking on it and call it a day. Ready to keg the next batch and didn't want it all to be pushed out of this tiny hole though. Pretty new to this stuff, not sure what needs to be done / if anything needs to be done.

Any info is appreciated. Below is a link to a picture of the issue, you can see that some has leaked out (and dried) from the crease between the metal and plastic.

PHOTO: http://i.imgur.com/7QzmNgh.jpg

Are you sure its not leaking from the popet and dripping down under the plastic and out the side? Probably from when the tap line wasnt on it, or being changed. If a vessel under pressure has a pinhole leak, you would have a much bigger mess.

And no, I doubt silicon caulking is rated for pressure.

First of all though, fill the empty keg with a few psi of co2 and spray the surface down with soapy water. Any leaks will form bubbles.

My guess from the picture is that, unless there is notable damage to the rubber portion of the keg, it is probably not a hole. I would think that a more likely cause is the post immediately above that area is leaking under the rubber somehow. I would start by examining that posts situation. Is it loose? Is it damaged? Is it missing an o-ring?

Double check this is where it's coming from and not dripping down from the QDs. if you have a hole at the seam where the bottom of the rubber is, you're pretty well screwed. It's not unheard of.

Theoretically you *could* cut that area away and get it welded, but unless you are getting it welded for free, it's not really worth the effort IMO.

OK you folks are very smart, you're right it was coming somewhere from the ball-lock connector. Which is frustrating, because it is a new piece, this was my first time using it. I bought a stainless steel one since my last plastic one broke after a couple of years, thought I might get more life out of it. I'll make sure everything is tight on it. Thanks!!!

Also- great idea on the bubbles, that reassured me there isn't a leak on the keg itself.

You may just need to add a few wraps of Teflon tape to the QD threads before putting the QD's back on, or replace the seals inside.

Or, it may be a crack at the bottom.

You may just need to add a few wraps of Teflon tape to the QD threads before putting the QD's back on, or replace the seals inside.

I wouldn't do this; the threads don't seal the post onto the keg, the dip-tube o-ring does. Verify that the dip-tube o-ring isn't compromised, and make sure the post o-ring is good as well. If it's leaking out the top of the QD there's an internal o-ring in there that can be changed.

I second the above opinion, and add that with the price of the o-rings being pennies (buy bulk from someplace like Mcmaster-carr) I change them every
time I clean a keg.

I wouldn't do this; the threads don't seal the post onto the keg, the dip-tube o-ring does. Verify that the dip-tube o-ring isn't compromised, and make sure the post o-ring is good as well. If it's leaking out the top of the QD there's an internal o-ring in there that can be changed.

I think Homer meant adding some tape to the QD threads, not under the post.

I think Homer meant adding some tape to the QD threads, not under the post.

Hmm. I still don't know if that would help, since in a QD there's an internal o-ring that makes the seal. With the exception of the NPT fittings on a regulator or valve, I don't think PTFE tape belongs anywhere near a keg. Changing the o-rings would be a much better bet. As dvonrick mentioned, they're very cheap when bought in bulk.

I don't think PTFE tape belongs anywhere near a keg.

This.

Dip tube and post seal with the same O-ring.
QD seals to the post with another.
Cap atop the QD seals with a round delrin gasket.
Swivel nut/barb seals to QD with a nylon flare gasket.

No tape needed. In fact taping any of those connections is more likely to keep things from sealing properly than fixing a leak...

Cheers!

Back