leak at release valve on two cornies

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slim chillingsworth

Reaction score
i noticed that one of my kegs (being used as secondary) was losing pressure, and after some playing around decided that it's coming from the release valve. i switched tops and had the same issue with another one.

the valve is the type with a keyring (not sure if this is standard, i have another with a different release). when the keyring is in a certain position (but still not in the lifted "release" position) it leaks.

i took one apart completely, soaked it in pbw and blasted it with a hose. still the same problem. i'm having a hard time believing that i'm having the same problem with two different valves. any advice?

Some Keg Lube should fix that right up, assuming you can get to the seal. One of my kegs has the ring you pull on, and i think you can get to the seal from the inside of the lid.

Those things screw in. Do you have it screwed all the way in? I had a loose one that leaked until I screwed it back in.

Sometimes the spring weakens to the point that they have to be replaced. If everything else fails when trying to correct your pressure leak, buying a replacement valve is your next step.

I've had to replace two so far. YMMV.

I have the same problem right now, a leaky relief valve. Tightened it down but that still didn't help. It would be fine until I release some pressure from the keg and then it would seal again and then take forever to get it to sit right. I'm just going to bring back the lid to the lhbs I got it from and see what they recommend.

Back