Quantcast

leaf hops and efficiency

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Mk010101

Reaction score
Recently, I have used leaf hops (always used pellets before) and I have noticed that those leaf hops really suck up a lot of wort. Also my efficiency has been down compared to the past. It's in the low 60% while it used to be near 75%. Are the two interconnected? I am scratching my head here.

Bobby_M

Vendor and Brewer
HBT Sponsor
Reaction score
If you're talking about brew house efficiency then yes, hop absorbtion would reduce it. I put leaf hops in a large bag and make sure I hang it over the kettle while I'm draining and give it a good squeeze towards the end.

OP
Mk010101

Mk010101

Reaction score
I am talking about efficiency from mashing. I guess that since the hops aren't in the mash, the efficiency of getting X points out of a mash will be steady. However, after all is said and done and I pitch the yeast, it is then that my O.G. is lower than I expected given I usually have 75% efficiency from mashing.

So, I guess the real question is, how much do leaf hops reduce the O.G. compared to pellet hops? Do they contribute to a loss of O.G. at all?

Bobby_M

Vendor and Brewer
HBT Sponsor
Reaction score
It really comes down to splitting hairs between mash extract efficiency (how much sugar you ultimatly remove from the MLT) and brewhouse (how much sugar ultimately makes it into your fermenter).

Things that happen in your boil kettle and any other piece of gear you have after that cannot affect mash/lauter extract efficiency. That boat has sailed already. However, any wort lost here WILL reduce your brewhouse efficiency because sugar or "gravity points" are being left behind.

For giggles, Let's say you pulled 80% mash/lauter efficiency on 10lbs of marris otter malt and you're on track for a finished batch of 5.5 gallons at 1.052.

Now, if you leave even 1 quart (.25 gallons) behind in the kettle soaked up in the hops, the new brewhouse efficiency drops to 76% for the same 1.052 gravity.